Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I being unreasonable??

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:36 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 407 Total Views
Hi all!  I'm new to this group.  Nice to chat with you.
I'm a new mom (well, sort of new, Alex is almost one year already) and sure I'm a little over protective, so I want your honest opinion.  Am I being unreasonable?

My daughter is still in the baby room at daycare.  She doesn't walk yet, but crawls and cruises everywhere, so she is all over the baby room floor.  I voiced a concern (my first concern) a few weeks ago and then again this morning.  Sometimes older toddlers are in the baby room when I drop Alex off because the other teachers aren't there yet.  I don't mind that, however, they are often walking around with their toddler-appropriate food.  A few weeks ago, I placed Alex on the floor, went into another room to pay the manager and when I came back, a toddler was next to Alex with a bowl of animal crackers.  Alex had her hand in the bowl, grabbed the animal cracker and was in the process of putting the whole thing in her mouth when I grabbed it off her?  What if I wasn't there?

This morning, another mom was giving her child crackers, he was walking around with them, and I probably shouldn't have said anything to her, I should have just went to the manager again, but I politely mentioned my concern to her.  I suggested maybe it would be better if he eat in a high chair.  Well, of course, she seemed a little annoyed and I noticed her give a look to the teacher.  However, this was right after she apologized to me because I picked up a pretzel that her son dropped on the floor.  The same floor that my daughter crawls on.  Am I the only one that sees this as a problem?
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZenMommy
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:50 AM
If this is a center the toddlers should be in their own room.  I used to work for a center theat had it 0-1 infant room room 1-2 moving babies 2 yr old room 3yr old room and then a preschooler room Children should also be seated when eating snack . It is dnagerous and unhealthy to eat walking around. I would call the corp office if there is one or talk to the owner somehow.
MomToBoo
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:55 AM
Thank you for the reassurance.  This is a center and they have that same set up, but first thing in the morning (7 am) sometimes the todders are in the baby room until other staff show. 
1lilgirl
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:05 AM
I am a SAHM, but I do go to the gym M-F and my LO is in the daycare at the gym.  The kids all eat at the table there.  I can understand your point, but you also have to consider that their moms gave their children the snacks and sometimes all we mom's think about is our own child at the time. 

MomToBoo
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:41 AM
I understand that too.  I shouldn't have said anything to the other mom.
brandymay07
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:46 AM

I agree with you, those toddlers should either not be in the baby room, or should not be eating food in there.  Its not safe if your baby gets ahold of something and chokes on it.  I used to work at a child care center, and none of the children were allowed to have food unless it was breakfast time, lunch time, or snack time, and they would ALL get the SAME food at the SAME time and would be sitting at the TABLE eating it.  Period.  no excuses no exceptions.  That is the way it should be.
brandymay07
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:52 AM

Quoting MomToBoo:

I understand that too.  I shouldn't have said anything to the other mom.
I disagree.  You have every right to voice your opinion.  Dont let other moms walk all over you.  True, that mom was "only thinking about her child at the moment"  but you were thinking of your child too. She can take care of her child by giving him a snack, but for the safety of her child and yours she should put him at the table when he is eating it. 

Ferris0826
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:02 AM
how far away is your daughter from being one? i ask this because shouldn't she be able to eat some of these foods like the crackers and cookies (not the pretzels) my son will be one in aug and he eats that stuff all the time. maybe when you get her to daycare place her in a exersaucer or a high chair and give her a little something to snack on until the other teachers arrive. thats what i do with my son because he doesn't go to a center he goes to an in home care and he is the only baby

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ferris0826

GROUP OWNER OF DRAMA FREE ZONE

~FERRIS~

MomToBoo
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:16 AM
Just a couple weeks from being one (Aug 8).  I haven't gotten much past cheerios yet...zweback with close supervision.  If I gave her something like an animal cracker, she would put the whole thing in her mouth.  Maybe I should start teaching her to take little bites.  She will be going to the transition room soon and they will all have this type of food there.  She only has two bottom teeth.  Does that matter?
Octobersmom
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:18 AM
All of teh centers I have worked at (3) have had teh rule taht while you eat you sit.  I would recommend that rule to your centers manager.

Moms who love fantasy novels, movies and art - group owner
Fans of the Inheritance Trilogy - group owner
Kyle XY fans - group owner

Retro Mamas - group owner

Moms who love Harry Potter - a group administrator
Harry Potter....Momma's - a group administrator
General hospital fans - a group administrator

Jezi_Mom
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Quoting MomToBoo:

Just a couple weeks from being one (Aug 8).  I haven't gotten much past cheerios yet...zweback with close supervision.  If I gave her something like an animal cracker, she would put the whole thing in her mouth.  Maybe I should start teaching her to take little bites.  She will be going to the transition room soon and they will all have this type of food there.  She only has two bottom teeth.  Does that matter?
It's actually easier to teach them to take bites by giving them something big that can't fit in their mouth.  You could use toast or soemthing liek that.  It's soft enough that she can bite it with just 2 teeth, but she can't fit the whole think in her mouth.  :-)

Lots of Love from Jeni and Jezi
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)