Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mother in law is driving me nuts!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:48 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 273 Total Views

We are living with my mother in law, and by we I mean me and my hubby and 2 kids. We have been paying $200 for rent a month and recently shes decided not to take our rent. Then on Friday had our gas shut off. We have no hot water and no way to cook. She said that shes not going to turn it back on until we move out. I have no idea what to do but my kids need baths and how am I supposed to cook without a stove? To fill in a little bit, my hubby and I were living in this house with his father 3 years ago. His father and mother have been spit up for 10 years and were never married. His dad got sick 2 1/2 years ago and his mother put him in a nursing home because no one could take care of him. He ended up passing away not too long after that and she decided to move in with us to help us out because  I was pregnant at the time. A month goes by and we get an eviction notice, she had gotten an attorney and told them that we were not paying rent on HER house and had us evicted. The only reason this worked was that my hubbys dad still had her name on the house papers and he didn't have a will. We found a place and were living there for a year until my hubby lost his job and we had nowhere to go so his mother in law took us in. Now she is pulling the same stunts, she refuses to do any house work or cooking and since I'm a stay at home mom I do all the house work. When she comes home she goes straight to her room and only comes out when she needs to go to the bathroom. She doesn't talk to us and pretends we aren't even here. Last month she threw a fit and had the phone turned off and we couldn't do anything about that, and now she's had the gas turned off without notice. I don't even know if thats legal. So tomorrow I have to go to town and talk to the police and see what all we can do about this because her bitchyness is no reason to go and shut the gas off when people in the house need it. My hubby tried talking to her this afternoon and all she would say to him was that if he didn't like it then to get out. How is that even right? Technically she'd have to give notice to shut the utilities off wouldn't she? I really need advice, I've tried venting to my dad but he lives in another state and can't really do anything, and the fact that his grand children can't even take a bath gets him so worked up that I'm kinda glad he doesn't live in this state. If anyone has some good advice please let me know...

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)