Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old acting like a baby

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 10:50 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 2640 Total Views

My almost 4 year old has been acting like a major baby for about 2 months now. She cries at the slightest transistion and says one word phrases like a 12-18 month old. I think this has something to do with the everyother weekend visitations. I think it is really hard on her. Is anyone else having this sort of problem or have any advice for me? I just don't know how many more meltdowns I can take

by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
debbie1972
by Member on Sep. 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM

My question would be "Does her dad treat her like a baby?".

My 10 y/o regresses about 5 years after each visit....but it's because he does crap like getting her a pinata for her birthday party, and not letting any of the other kids hit it...ONLY HER, and there were 3, and 4 y/os at the party!

She is absolutely allowed to pull crap (tantrums, and what not) that would not fly at my house at all...trust me I get a FULL UPDATE from my older daughters.

I would talk to him, and try to find out...Hopefully it's something that simple, and not a more serious problem.

si se puede

Esta opinion es cortesia de La Guerita Bonita

Mrs.Huff
by on Apr. 29, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I have joint custody with my ex and he gets the kids every other wkend...or should i say his parents get the kids every other wkend bc his parents make the decisions for him and fight his battles...So anyway, the kids are 4 and 5...my 4 yr old acts just like a baby almost all of the time! He does the one word phrase thing, acts silly, says goo goo gah gah sometimes...??? He is also in speech bc he doesnt pronounce some of his words very well. And the 5yr old cries at the drop of a dime sometimes...it's really annoying! My ex's parents definately treat the kids like babies, they dont discipline the kids and they give them what ever they want...Im remarried and My husband and i definately think the every other wkend thing is the problem behing thier behavior...In our house we have rules that they have to listen to but when thy go over there they have free reign...I also have a 5mnth old with my husband and the kids act this way in front of the baby...we think that he may pick up on the way they act or even pick up on the bad speech my 4yr old has sometimes...Im at my witts end with the behavior and discipline on the same thing over and over...Going to a different house every other wkend doesnt give the kids the right stability...

K.Hall
by on May. 4, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Geez, this sounds way too familiar! She is seeking negative attention.  Perhaps, while with dad, she isn't getting what she needs as far as love, interaction.  She may be left to entertain herself...  I agree, the back and forth is hard on her especially if there is any type of tension and animosity between you and her father.  Is there ANY type of abuse that you are aware of?  Mental?  Physical?  Sexual?  Has she witnessed any type of abuse?  Has she regressed in any other areas?  Wetting her pants?  Do you have the resources to take her to a family therapist?  I found this to be EXTREMELY helpful for my three girls as they transitioned from the divorce at the same age.  They were taught coping strategies.   Also to not be afraid to speak what they feel.  A GREAT book that may help you...DIVORCE DINOSAURS.  I had to buy directly from the author.  Also, GABBY THE GECKO.  Good luck JessicaHash. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)