Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SIL failed her home schoolled child. Just need to vent.

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 468 Total Views

My SIL has been home schooling her son for the last 2 years.  I have no problem with home schooling something I plan to do with my daughter when she gets into the 6th grade.  I do have a problem with her failing her son and blaming it all on him.  When she lived with my parents she would go 3 weeks without doing any schoolwork with him then try to cram the 3 weeks of work into 2 days.  He would get frustrated and shut down.  My mother offered to help but the SIL refused.  My sister and I also offered to help her a while back and she refused.  My SIL dropped out of high school while the rest of us graduated and have some college but she treats us like we are all dumb.  And NO, none of us have tried to “rub it in her face”.   

I don’t see how she is even getting any homeschooling done this year.  Before the school year began she and my brother moved out of my parents’ house to her parents’ house.  She a stay at home mom which I don’t have a problem with but she takes her 2 children to daycare almost every day about 15 miles from their home. Then comes to my parents begging for gas money.  So if she is doing home schooling why would she be taking him to daycare every day?  The woman she takes him to doesn’t do any schoolwork with the kids.  (My sister used to send her daughter there so we know how things are run there.)

I do try to stay out of her business haven’t even spoken to her since Easter when we were all on a family trip together.  This situation is really hurting my mother who has tried to be supportive.  I also tried to be supportive but there is only so much crazy that I can deal with.

Update:  Thank you for your replies they are appreciated.  It's been a while since on the site and there has been a couple changes.  My SIL put her son into public school which is also in a good school district.  I've seen maybe once since Easter and we didn't talk then.  I've since my brother and my nephew a few times.  I'm just concerned that my nephew is a little too quiet while his step-brothers were bouncing off the walls.

by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
dresdenfan118
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I think you need to make a call to CPS or maybe the school board. 

KrissyKC
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM

as a homeschooler myself, we had a rough year... and we didn't accomplish almost anything... at least in my mind.   However, I guess we did more than I thought because...

DS (almost 8) fishished all of his 2nd & 3rd grade language arts I had for him.    Plus, he is about 20 lessons shy on his math book.   Plus he did a few book reports this year and several essays and writing projects.  We missed a lot of history, science, and art, but he did start guitar lessons before we moved.    And we did do a few art history lessons as well as studied genesis and dinosaurs..  

DD (10 1/2) finished 1 whole unit of 7th grade math before we decided we had advanced her too quickly and then she did another curriculum of 6th grade just taught a diff way.  I'm not worried about that, because according to her birthday and such, she should have been a 4th grader.   She was a little delayed getting her english curric this year due to our situations, so she has only completed about 75% of it, but she did really well at it once she got moving.   She did reports, essays, and the same studies as her brother for extra stuff this year.

So, I guess I'm saying all this because we all have bad years.... but as bad as my year was, we STILL got 75-80% of math and language arts accomplished....

happinessforyou
by Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM

This is one reason that I do not think homeschooling is a good choice for most kids. Some parents start off with every good intention and fail. While others like this mom, only does it when she feels like it and does a crappy job even then.

My DD went to college with a friend who now works for CPS in our state. She says that you can indeed report the lack of schooling to them and they will have to make a report and investigate. There are guidelines for hoemschooling  that they use to verify this with. Just know that the whole on-line school is much harder for CPS to track.

I'd call them and ask them about your SIL. Who knows, you may be saving this kid's education  :)  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)