Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't figure this out

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:16 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 232 Total Views
Hello! Just found this board and am happy to see I'm not alone. Having issues with mother in law and thought i would post, see if anyone could shed some light on what might be going on.

I'm wife #2. When I was dating my DH, MIL was great, very nice, we got along. She was very supportive of my efforts at being stepmom. Now that I am married, the tables have turned.

She critical of me, critical of DH. Fine whatever, it follows the MIL myth. And DH has never been the fav, he has a baby brother.

But we have MIL's only grandson who she used to adore and be obsessed with! Now she doesn't want to talk to him on the phone, she badmouths stepson's mother, won't come and see him, even though we have invited her numerous times.

And and stepson is very much starting not to like her. She has said some things that were not nice about his only being with us on weekends adn some harsh things about his mom.

But why the cold shoulder from MIL? Is it our new marriage (2years now)?? Is she upset about not seeing stepson? B/c she never makes an effort to come see him.

Any ideas are welcome.
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
yorke77
by on Jun. 25, 2007 at 4:22 PM
I haven't been in your shoes but from what you are saying it sounds like maybe she's trying to push you and your husband into fighting for full custody of your step son. That's just my 2 cents.I have a step daughter that we don't get to see on a regular basis (that's another issue) and my MIL used to bad mouth her (not infront of the child) infront of me and when I asked her why she didn't say at first but it finally came out that she did it because she liked me better and thought I'd like her more if she bad mouthed the ex. How she got that idea I have no clue because I didn't have anything against the ex at the time she hadn't done anything to me so what did I care. I would just try to talk to her if you can stay calm long enough and tell her how you feel. You'd think they would know better but sometimes they don't think. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)