Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Sisters Keeper-because you can, do you?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 412 Total Views

the movie My sisters keeper is about a family with 2 daughters, one has cancer and the other has been her donor since she was born. the younger dd was concieved by "design" to be a perfect match for her older sister, and now at 11 she was fighting giving up a kidney.

I was wondering what are some thoughts on this? with cord banking you can solve so so many issues, but if you had a terminally sick child what would you do, how far would you go to save that child?

and does that include having a "donor" child? is that ok morally? to have a newborn donating marrow and stem cells? just because medically you can, do you?

The doctors said "it would take a miracle for you to become pregnant".
God said,"Ok, you asked for it..."

Jacob Joseph 5/6/95 and Liam Theodore DeWitt 4/13/09
My Miracles......

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jess1231
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Ohh I'm going to watch this movie in a little while, but no I wouldn't have a child JUST so it could be a donor and no I would not put a newborn thru all of that, if they were old enough to understand then they could make their own decision I wouldn't MAKE them do anything!

ComotionGirl
by Group Owner on May. 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Thats a hard one.  If I could have another child and that childs cord blood could save my current child, then I would have another baby in a heart beat!!!!

But I wouldn't have another child just so that child could "donate" a kidney or something.  Its so sad what that family and all the familes go thru!!!

There is a child at my daughters school who is in the hospital with cancer NOW!  They are have a blood donor match drive next saturday.  My husband and I are going.  I don't know if my kids would even be ALLOWED legally to donate but I am not having them tested.

I haven't seen the movie, but I heard the book is really good too =:)

Kenre
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I read the book.

It has been a question posed for many years now. I don't know what I would do, honestly. My friend here watched her little sister (a year younger than her) die when they were just little kids. Her sister never made it to 5 years old. I am sure that she would have donated everything she could in her body to save her sister. Her younger sisters, born after the death of the one, probably would have wished they could as well.

Bearsjen
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM

here's the thing tho-its not just the option of cord blood. in the movie it was"a donor child".

I dont know either what I would do...faced with the choice. I do know I would not have a DONOR baby, one just born to sacrifice....and yes I realize the book was not the same.

I just wanted to see some diff points of view.

vmonica17
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

you don't know until it happens to you. My cousin had a 2nd to save her 1st sons life. And now she has her 2 healthy boys, and couldn't be happier. 

jbishop928
by Group Admin on May. 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I wouldn't have another baby JUST to use him or her as a "donor". That's a tough choice. I've seen the movie and it's very very sad :(

angelmom713
by Group Admin on May. 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Quoting vmonica17:

you don't know until it happens to you. My cousin had a 2nd to save her 1st sons life. And now she has her 2 healthy boys, and couldn't be happier. 

I agree with you.  I wouldn't know until I was in the situation.  But YAY for your cousin.  That is wonderful news!

SophieLee
by Group Admin on May. 27, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I don't know either... I think it would have to come with a pre-nup type of deal... And I didn't watch the movie.. I only read the book and that was enough for me... I am not sure of all the differences but I do not want to think what a choice like that owuld be like. I felt after I read the book that the Mother was wrong. It should have stopped.... There has to be a liimit. I also belive in unthinaisia (sorry REALLY bad spelling on that one) If they want to die, then I say let them. If  they are in sound mind, it is their choice. I do not think that a 7 year old should have to endure all of that... But I have never been there. So yes, it also depends on the situation.

meglennox
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:31 AM

i don't know to be honest. if either of my boys became sick i just might be desperate enough. i'd probably try ever other way first but i just don't know.

Faym518
by Member on May. 27, 2010 at 8:45 AM
I donated my sons cord blood. I was told that donating it could save a lot of kids life. So I knew it was a great idea to do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)