Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Mommy Needs Discpline Help!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:03 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 124 Total Views

My ten month old boy constantly pushes the button on our stereo. I smack his hand at least 3 times per day! I know he knows he isn't supposed to touch it because after he does he turns his head and looks back at me. Is it too soon for a time out? if not, do I put him in his crib or play pen? I have qualms with that because I don't want either of those places to be associated with anything negative.

He has also been starting to scream when he doesn't get his way (ie I put him down or walk away). I have always said that I wouldn't put up with my kids throwing tantrums. I just didn't know it would start so early. and I'm not sure what to do about it at this point. how else should I expect him to communicate that he is unhappy with a given situation, since he istn't able to talk yet?

Thanks so much,

Amanda

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jbishop928
by Group Admin on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM

At 10 months I don't think they fully understand "Time out". I started time out when Connor was a little over a year. I would just tell him no and move him away. Give him something else to distract him. It's so hard when they can't communicate. But yeah.....tantrums....hahaha, Connor started those WAY early!! haha! :) Good luck mama!!

ComotionGirl
by Group Owner on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I dont think they get time out at this age.  Cole is 15 months and I know he doesn't get it.  However, he does throw a tantrum!  He throws himself down or back.  I found that the best thing is to ignore the tantrum.  It has worked for my other 2.  If Cole throws a tantrum, I ignore him.  If I am holding him and he throws himself back, I put him down and walk away or go sit in my chair.  He hasn't done it in public and I am hoping we can kick this habit before it does!!!!

Good Luck!

Oh about the pushing the buttons, just move it.  It worked for us!!!  Cole was always touching the wii, so we just moved it.

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:15 PM

my son is almost 10 months and he throws tantrums when he cant get his way as well. i just tell him no, move him, and then give him a toy to distract him. a lot of times he just keeps after whatever he wants (but cant have) so i have to just stay patient and keep doing it over and over until he stops. i always try to move things so he cant get to them, but sometimes its not always possible. its definitely hard when they dont understand!

DevinAnnesmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I have 3 kids, ages 5 1/2, 3 and 1, so I have dealt with this a lot and I can tell you what has worked very well for me. As far as the pushing the buttons on the stereo goes, don't move the stereo!! That will not teach him anything. You have to continuously tell him no in a stern voice and pop his hand every single time he touches it until he understands that this action = this consequence. Believe me, he's not too young to understand. Even if you have to stand there for an hour every day for a week, he will figure it out eventually and he will no longer push the buttons. I know it's extremely frustrating and moving it would just be so much simpler, but if you move it, then what happens when you take him to someone else's house who has a stereo in reach? You can't move everyone's things to accommodate him.

When it comes to trowing temper tantrums I have found that the best thing to do is to tell them (and yes, they understand even though they can't speak back yet) that "mommy will not stand here and watch you throw a fit, so I'm going to go do dishes (or whatever...) and when you're done with your fit I will play with you again." and then just walk away and completely ignore them. This is also a great time to start teaching them words such as, if they are wanting to be picked up you can tell them "You want up? Tell me up." and obviously they won't get it right away, but I promise you that before you know it he will come to you and say "up" to be picked up.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it was helpful. I get complimented on a daily basis about how well my children are behaved and how polite and well spoken they are and it's because I used the techniques I shared above. I don't say this to brag, but rather just so you know that this really does work. It takes some time, but I promise it pays off in the long run :-)

JoeyJrsMomma
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:20 AM

At that age, they don't get it, honestly I don't think smacking their hand will teach them not to touch it at this age. The best thing you can do is be consistent and tell him that's not for you and redirect him to something that is for him. You will find that you'll have days that he listens perfectly and days that he thinks it's funny to touch it even when you just said no and makes a game out of it. No matter how he responds, just be consistent. He won't start to understand that he shouldn't do it until around age 2, but the more consistent you are with this and everything the easier it will be. Remember, it's his job as your son to constantly push your buttons, don't give in to him ever or he will remember that! 

angelmom713
by Group Admin on Sep. 17, 2010 at 11:40 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)