Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training at night

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 295 Total Views

hello ladies!! I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on potty training at night. My son is 3 and still wears pull ups at night. He wakes up soaked and i have tried the "no drinks an hour before bed" thing. He still wakes up wet. So any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks soo much!!

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JoeyJrsMomma
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Joey just eventually got better of not going at night so we were able to eventually get rid of the pull ups. This is probably TMI, but I know when I was little, I had an issue with going at night. I know my mom asked my Dr. why and he said it happens when you are in a really deep sleep and you just don't wake up to go and there's nothing you can really do about it. She used to come in my room in the middle of the night and wake me up to have me go potty. Sorry I don't have better advice for you!

mcguirebaby
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I just read an article in parenting magazine that children who suffer from constipation sometimes have a problem potty training at night. The article said even if the child goes #2 regularly, he or she could still be constipated. My son just eventually quit going during the night.

cstargarner
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM

My son's dr just said to give him time.  She said eventually he'll get better at holding it and will wake up dry and go straight to the potty.  So I try to be as low pressure as possible and just encourage him to go potty when he needs to and as soon as he wakes up.  He has a wet diaper almost every night (huggies overnights work best for us.  Even the pull ups night time diapers were leaking) but he's dry during the day and knows how to go potty so i'm ok with that.  We still have time.

Lydia_Joslin
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM
maybe you can buy "night time" pull ups they are usually more resistant, and possibly keeping him warm at night, PJ's n all, NO BOTTLES, maybe no drinks two hours before sleeping? and if child is thirsty a small drink would be fine...hope this helps
luvc09
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

We never tried to night train. We just started noticeing that our daughter would wake up dry often. I think she was a little over 3yrs old. I wouldn't push it, hes still young.

queenbee2boys
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM
I think it is typical to be dry during the day and takes a little longer at night. My 3 year old DS wakes up dry about 3 mornings a week. My 5 year old DS has never been dry in the morning!!! The 5 to is an exceptionally hard sleeper so I really do not think he is aware that he needs to go. My pediatrician tells me it is normal and more common in boys. We have never had a problem with soaking through pull ups. Sometimes if they got shifted he might soak around them. Are you sure it is a good fit? I am slow to go to the next size--I think this cuts down on leaking and you get more of the smaller size in a box. If your issue is really too much urine that the pull up is not absorbing it all that is a different issue
camsmom2
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Oh it's not his clothes that are soaked, although his pull up does get shifted and all that. I was referring to his pull up is soaked. lol I asked his doc is it normal for a 3 year old to still be wearing pull ups at night. My oldest was fully potty trained at 2 1/2. She looked at me really weird. lol But I guess Ill have to give it more time and keep working with him. Thanks!!!

Emeraldmama7
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I've potty trained lots of littles in my days and every child is different.  While all of my kids were potty trained by 2, night time was a different story.  My heavy sleepers were the ones who wet the bed (pull ups) the longest.  My oldest wet the bed until she was 3 1/2, and my boys wet the bed until they were 4 1/2.   Getting them up in the middle of the night would help...sometimes.  But I got tired of that because I had to put a diaper right back on them.  My youngest son, 7 will still sometimes wake up crying and walk around the house in his sleep.  I have to walk him into the bathroom otherwise he might wet himself (or something else, like the wall or a garbage can!). 

Jessa, mama to:

Alyssa(11), Autumn(10), Mariah(9), Matthew(8), Blake(7), Laila(3), and Athena born 9/14!!!

XR100_Mama
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Its been over two years since potty training for us. She was very easy so I've got nothing for ya! Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)