Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much $$$ dose it cost to get lil man snipped?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 2:42 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 866 Total Views

Ok so i know things have changed but dose anyone know if you have to pay for a circumsision? Im on medicade and i was told that they dont cover it and it cost abot 350-400 bucks!!! My fiances brother had his li lboy done and it cost him a lot too.

So is there anyways of getting it done without paying it out of pocket, or dose anyone know the price it costs to have it done?

Thanks for the advice

p.s. sorry for the weird snip questions just curiouse never had a boy

by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shanin22
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Yes I believe the average cost without insurance covering it is between $300-400. You can call the hospital you will be delivering at and ask for the billing department and  they should be able to give you an estimate.

But you are more then able to "shop around" for a good circumcision price. You can wait and have the procedure done after the hospital (I waited till my son was a month old for his) and find a urologist that has a good price. All urologists will provide the same care and procedure but some offices will give discounts for self pay (my mother works for a urologist that charges half price for self pay). Get out a phonebook and start calling local urologists to ask them their charge for a circumcision and if they offer any discounts (you have to ask, they won't offer). And I wouldn't mention the fact that your son will be on Medicaid. Medicaid won't cover it but some offices will not want to charge self pay to someone on Medicaid (insurance conflict issues). Just tell them you are self pay and you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck!

AdelineGrace
by Member on Mar. 7, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Medicaid covered my son's so I would double check on that. I also have friends on medicaid that had a boy and it was covered. Maybe it differs by state. I'm in Texas but I don't know how that works.

Shanin22
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM

She didn't ask peoples opinions about circumcision she asked about the cost. Your opinions are very nice and I could argue the pros and cons of circumcision all day.... but she didn't ask.

To the original poster: It is perfectly acceptable to find a doctor who gives discounts for self pay. Doctors offices are forced to charge more then the real cost for a procedure because health insurances only will pay a percent of whats being charged. Since the office is well aware of these inflated prices they will often give discounts to make the price more fair to the individual (and they like to avoid insurance companies, so they will often help the self pays).

Quoting moon_mom:

At least 16 states have dropped circumcision coverage for Medicaid because it is not necessary and there are studies that show that it is actually healthier to NOT do it  (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/11/prweb180294.htm). Unless your son has some rare problem that requires circumcision, you will have to pay for it out of pocket.  Some doctors charge less than others, but genital surgery on your child is not something to bargain shop.  If you can't afford it or don't want to spend all of that money (you could get a nice iPod for that kind of money!), your son shouldn't have any problems with being intact (uncircumcised).  Circumcision rates have dropped considerably in this country, especially in states that don't have Medicaid coverage for it.  Your son would have plenty of intact classmates and is unlikely to get teased either way.  Infections or other problems are VERY rare as long as no caretaker (including doctors) prematurely/forcibly retracts the foreskin.  It is easier to care for a baby who has not been circumcised because you are NEVER supposed to pull back his foreskin (you only clean what is seen)... it's attached to the head at birth for protection and can take til puberty to naturally retract.  After it retracts, it just takes the boy/man 5 seconds to clean.  Boys don't have a problem with not "looking like daddy", either.  If they even notice that they have something that dad doesn't, it's as easy to explain as why dad has hair there and he doesn't.  Dad is usually the only one who ever has a problem with not matching "down there".

georgiarebel85
by Member on Mar. 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM

The hospital that my twin boys were born at did their circumsisions charges $250 to get it done.. and that's if your insurance doesnt cover it... and you had to pay up front if it was not covered... but i guess it really depends on where you are from and what insurance you have...

Quoting starz7up:

Ok so i know things have changed but dose anyone know if you have to pay for a circumsision? Im on medicade and i was told that they dont cover it and it cost abot 350-400 bucks!!! My fiances brother had his li lboy done and it cost him a lot too.

So is there anyways of getting it done without paying it out of pocket, or dose anyone know the price it costs to have it done?

Thanks for the advice

willowbluecrow
by on Mar. 24, 2009 at 3:46 AM

my medicaid covered it, my ob did it in his office...i would call your medicaid case worker and ask to make sure

Kyrielynnsmommy
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Quoting starz7up:

Thanks for the advice

momof3inapril09
by Member on Apr. 3, 2009 at 6:47 AM

I have been on medicaid before in 4 different states.  You definately need to check on it with your medicaid office and find out who you need to talk to.  I know Florida will not pay  for it but I know for a fact that Missouri and Illinois will. New York I am almost positive they will pay for it, but I can't remember for sure.  With this baby I am no longer on medicaid because I had gotten remarried and my husband makes too much for state assistance so I am unsure about Texas, the state that I am currently in. (I think I saw a post from someone else here saying that they do. Good luck.

Nikolai due 4/9/09 Seth is 4 and Lily is 7
-----
Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/momof3inapril09
longhornmomma08
by Member on Apr. 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM

They charged me $375 and they did it the same day or the next day after he was born.

rebel_mommy09
by on May. 31, 2009 at 6:30 AM
I had my son circ'd and medicaid covered it. I live in Texas

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

JaydensMommie
by on Jun. 15, 2009 at 1:41 AM

Our pediatrician did my sons the week after he was born and we just paid our normal office visit copay.  I would call your pediatrician and ask them if they do it/what they charge and if nothing else im sure they could refer you to someone.  If medicaid doesnt cover it in your area then im sure they get those questions alot and would know the different options you have. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)