Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good Sunday Morning ... August 21, 2011

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:37 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 189 Total Views

by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mapleleafwoman
by Group Owner on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:40 AM

We are going to check out a nature preserve that we have never been to before.  It is an old boy scout camp.  We can't seem to find much information about it.

Former Boy Scout camp along Oldmans Creek is permanently preserved

Published: Friday, September 18, 2009, 7:52 PM  

OLDMANS TWP. -- The former Camp Kimble, what was a 37-acre Boy Scout camp located along the Oldmans Creek in Auburn, has been permanently preserved.

The land, which served as a Boy Scout camp from 1938 until 1962, was bought from the Boy Scouts in 1967 by Charles and Doris MacKannan, who operated a campground for several years there.

"This is an especially exciting event for the South Jersey Land and Water Trust because this is the first historic house and grounds that the trust will own," said South Jersey Land and Water Trust president Suzanne McCarthy.

"The land is very important ecologically," said Rapa. "The land is in a key location. It contains a lot of important forest and wild life."

The property includes 3,000 feet of stream frontage along Oldmans Creek, including a boat landing and dock. In addition there is the main home built in the late 1700s, a log cabin, barn and hiking trails.

"Everyone must work together to protect these special places," he said.

Now that the area has been preserved, the property will be used for passive recreation, hiking, fishing, and other nature study.

South Jersey Land and Water Trust Director Christine Nolan hopes the preservation of the former Boy Scout camp will encourage the preservation of contiguous properties along the creek and in the surrounding area.

"The purchase (of the land) establishes a preservation foothold in a significantly threatened locale of the Oldmans Creek Watershed and the Raccoon Oldmans Farm Belt," said Nolan.

JeremysMom
by Adventurous Amy on Aug. 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Good Morning to you! I have been so busy here lately. My son started 1st grade. I started my new job last week. Between being busy and the heat, I haven't been able to go hiking or anything and it is killing me! We are planning a camping trip for next month and I can't wait for that. How are things going for you?

mapleleafwoman
by Group Owner on Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I am sore from kayaking yesterday.  It hurts kind of under my arms at the top of my rib cage.  My friend says he is hurting in the same place.

It was a perfect day though!  We went down to a Sportsman's club about 20 minutes from here... they have a big lake there where members can swim.  It is a really nice park, family oriented, for members only.  They had a Youth Day today and numerous events for the kids to participate in.   We helped SPLASH with their kayaking safety and such.  I spent about four hours out in a tandem kayak teaching kids how to kayak.  Then most of them came in and tried it in single kayaks once they knew the techniques.  The weather was perfect for it.  They had well over 200 kids out in the kayaks, and many of those went two or three times.

Check-in Area

Kayaks ready to go

Starting to load

Kayak Instruction and Safety

Going It Alone

mapleleafwoman
by Group Owner on Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:48 PM

We checked out that park this morning.

Check out all the bird houses under the roof line.

That's our Kaia in the water.

mapleleafwoman
by Group Owner on Aug. 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM

More pics from the preserve

mapleleafwoman
by Group Owner on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Took Kaia here to this nature area this evening for her walk. 

This pony came over to greet us.  The park kind of goes around their field.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)