Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Free dopplar rentals for women who have suffered a loss.

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 556 Total Views

I know this may be a somewhat contaversial subject, and if you go the the following website, it has a lists of pros and cons for using their service. I am not reccomending it one way or the other but came across this today and wanted to share the information with everyone.

http://www.tinyheartbeats.org/

Tiny Heartbeats is a non profit organization for pregnant women. They provide fetal monitors to pregnant women who have previously been through fetal miscarriage, fetal demise, ectopic pregnancy or stillbirths, lost a child to complications from pregnancy, or those women in high risk pregnancies. 

You need to obtain a prescription from your dr to have them send you one, and sign a waiver for it. You also agree to ship it back within 4 weeks of giving birth so they can pass it on to the next women.

They also accept donations so they can remain open.

I thought some women may find this service very helpful, although it can not prevent problems, or alert you to other problems, some women may find it comforting.

Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jennbenn5
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Their page shows absolutely no Cons for using dopplers.  If you want the real truth about doppler saftey click here and read any one of the articles.  5 minutes use of a doppler is equivalent to 30 minutes of an UltraSound scan.  The majority of all women (no matter weight and size) will not be able to hear the heart sounds till after 11-12 weeks.  So getting one of these dopplers to use when you're 8 weeks and can't hear the heart sounds will lead to a lot more anxiety.  And if you have not been shown how to use one properly you can cause a lot of damage- the soundwaves actually heat up the amniotic fluid- and if you are shooting those waves right into the placenta you can harm the placenta and keep it from working properly. 

Yes this is a very contraversial subject- but you just have to read what the FDA has said about Ultra sound and fetal doppler safety. 

Jenn

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
harleymama30
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 3:20 PM

2 THUMBS UP!!! i love it when organization offer these things!! makes people a little less stressed and be able to enjoy pregnancy a little more!!!

I wish I wouldve known about it at the begining of this one or hell even for the last ones because of the high risks i had

lasombrs
by Group Owner on Nov. 22, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I'm not trying to promote it, just wanted to share the info incase others were interested. Yes, please do your own research.

Their site says they will not send them to any one who is less then 12 weeks.

and from their site for what its worth, mentions some of what Jenn brought up as well.

CON:

(1) Finding a heartbeat on the home doppler does not necessarily mean the baby is okay.  It could mask the fact there is a problem and
because we find the heartbeat, we may not go to our doctor when we really should;
(2) If we hear no heartbeat, it is most likely too late to save the baby, so we have not helped ourselves; and
(3) When doctors listen to the baby with the doppler, they also listen for movement etc.  They don't just use dopplers to listen to heartbeat
which is just one indicator of possible health.

Depending on several factors such as a woman's weight, placental position, etc. it can be difficult for some to hear the heartbeat even in the doctor's office.  This is especially true in the beginning .  For some women the doppler could cause even more anxiety and stress if they felt compelled to check all the time, and had difficulty finding the heartbeat.  Then you have more worry when nothing is wrong.
Anyway, what it all comes down to is that whether or not to use a doppler is a personal decision.  For some, it could potentially cause more harm and stress than good,

maybaby22
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I had a doppler after my MC and it was such a relief. The dr. showed me how to use and I used it every other day if not every day for a few minutes. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my baby, if nothing else it HELPED her because it relieved my stress and anxiety.

You know microwaves, cell phones and telephone wires can also be dangerous. Right up there with cheese and beef. Everything has a risk associated to it so you need to decide if hte risk (very small one) is worth it to you...

I would HIGHLY recommend it !!

jennbenn5
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM

ITS NOT SAFE!!!!!  Unless you know what you are doing, and have been trained to use one, You should not use one.  And the organizations So called Cons are not cons to using the dopplers they are just normal anxieties that happen with or without the use of them.  and after 12 weeks if you know your body you will begin to start feeling your baby move. And MOST MCs happen before 12 wks and the majority of those that happen can not be stopped.  I heard my sons heart beat at 17wks 6 days and he was gone at 18 wks.  The doppler couldn't see the blood clot on the placenta.  If any of you think about ordering one of these DO NOT use it till you go to your doctor and have them show you how to use it.   
And to the "microwaves and cell phones" comment-- yes living life is a risk, but does that mean that we should put our unborn precious babies at an even higher risk? 

Here is what the FDA says about the use of Ultrasound and fetal heart monitoring devices.

While ultrasonic fetal scanning is generally considered a safe medical procedure, the use of it for unapproved and unintended purposes raises concerns.

The use of ultrasound imaging devices for producing fetal keepsake videos is viewed as an unapproved use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Doppler ultrasound heartbeat monitors are not intended for over-the-counter (OTC) use. Both products are approved for use only with a prescription.

"Although there are no known risks of ultrasound imaging and heartbeat monitors, the radiation associated with them can produce effects on the body," says Robert Phillips, Ph.D., a physicist with FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH). "When ultrasound enters the body, it heats the tissues slightly. In some cases, it can also produce small pockets of gas in body fluids or tissues."

Phillips says the long-term effects of tissue heating and of the formation of partial vacuums in a liquid by high-intensity sound waves (cavitation) are not known.

Using ultrasound equipment only through a prescription ensures that pregnant women will receive professional care that contributes to their health and to the health of their babies, and that ultrasound will be used when medically indicated.

Fetal Keepsake Videos: "Performing prenatal ultrasounds without medical oversight may put a mother and her unborn baby at risk," says Phillips. "The bottom line is: Why take a chance with your baby's health for the sake of a video?"

Fetal keepsake videos are viewed as a problem because there is no medical benefit derived from the exposure. Further, there is no control on how long a single imaging session will take or how many sessions will occur.

FDA is aware of entrepreneurs that are commercializing ultrasonic imaging of fetuses by making keepsake videos. In some cases, the ultrasound machine may be used for as long as an hour to get a video of the fetus.

Doppler Ultrasound Heartbeat Monitors: Similar concerns surround the OTC sale of Doppler ultrasound heartbeat monitors. These devices, which people use to listen to the heartbeat of a fetus, are currently marketed legally as "prescription devices" that should only be used by or under the supervision of a health care professional.

"When the product is purchased over the counter and used without prior consultation with a health care professional, there is no oversight of how the device is used and little or no medical benefit derived from the exposure," Phillips says. "The number of sessions or the length of a session to which a fetus is exposed is uncontrolled, thus raising the potential for harm to the fetus."

This article appears on FDA's Consumer Updates page4, which features the latest on all FDA-regulated products.

Date Posted: March 24, 2008

harleymama30
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM

There was someone on here that was looking into buying one, hopefully she seen this thread before she spent the money.

lasombrs
by Group Owner on Nov. 22, 2010 at 8:22 PM
they do also require an rx from your dr so it would be under supervision and most likely have the dr instruct on how to use it. Its not otc like a real store is. And i did say it cant predict other problems, such as clots, in the op. I guess i'll take this down when i get back to a real computer. I wasn't looking for more trouble :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harleymama30
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 11:45 PM

just keep this posted it is fine.

People need to learn when to post their opinions and when not too. THIS is a great link to post up especially for the reasons that this organization is there for.

Besides, with all the warning and side effects out there these days, im surprised im still alive and kicking. Life is to short to be worried about ultrasounds doppler scans etc...

I posted this link in another group on another support site and they just were in shock over it. Like you have said, you need a rx to get it. Not every dr is going to issue a rx for this. ONLY if it is necessary. Kinda like a medical supply store, you need a rx to get the things you need to insure to have a healthy recovery etc....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)