Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Links and Resources

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 8:31 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 757 Total Views
We're lucky, in a way, to be coping with our children's food allergies at a time when people are aware, studying and sharing that info. When my BIL was growing up as a food allergic child he was an island and it was very difficult. Let's share the wealth of the internet. If you've got a favorite site share it in this thread.

We're looking for thinks in the following categories:

- General allergy information
- recipes
- legal guidelines (509 Plans at schools, ADA as pertains to allergies, etc)
- food (Lists of manufactured items or resturant allergen info)
- support groups
- allergy items for sale: food, clothing, medic ID bracelet's, etc.

Me and Me Only - Blog
The Soccer Mom Vote - Contributor

by on Jan. 17, 2008 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ldmrmom
by Group Owner on Jan. 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM
Here are some of my favorite links:

1. FAAN (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network): www.foodallergy.org
If you've not already checked out the FAAN site, please do so! FAAN is a non-profit organization dedicated to the education and research of food allergies. They have items pertaining to allegies for sale as well. I've purchased some literature, "how to read labels" cards and an EpiPen holder from them.

2.  Vermont Nut Free Chocolate (www.vermontnutfree.com)
Although it can get costly to ship when the weather is warm, this is a great site for candy alternatives. Everything they say is nut free, however, they do run product on shared lines with egg and dairy, I believe. We use VT Nut Free for Easter candy, Halloween candy, etc. My former M&M addict knows the "Megan M's" (aka VTNF's "Skippers") are safe for her and she can tell the difference. (No little white "m" and the candy is a big 'fatter' than a true M&M.)

3. Petite Baubles Boutique (http://www.petitebaublesboutique.com/)
This is a great site to get medical-alert badges. They have options other than the standard silver thick chain, but they do use the traditional medical ID insignia. My daughter has worn a multi-colored beaded bracelet for the last two years. It DOES get noticed.

4. Arthur's Parent/Teacher Guide to the Binky Goes Nuts episode (http://pbskids.org/arthur/parentsteachers/lesson/health/)  IF you've not seen it, there is an episode of the Arthur cartoon (airing on PBS) that deals with peanut allergies. Binky (I think he's the bully right?) reacts to a peanut product. The show deals with his diagnosis and how it impacts his day-to-day life. I've seen it once but I know my PA (peanut allergic) child loved seeing a character she knew be "just like her"

I have some other sites book marked that I'll leaf through later and share as appropriate.

Me and Me Only - Blog

mom2aliltater
by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 1:14 PM
We are ordering several different colors of this bracelet for our son. He didn't like the metal one ... and this is a rubber like .... trendy style ... HE IS EXCITED! I let him pick 4 of them ... so he can change it if he wants to have it match his clothes. They aren't expensive either.

http://coolmedid.com/peanut/products.asp

ldmrmom
by Group Owner on Feb. 3, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Here's a new online resource:

FROM THE EDITOR ~

As founders of Divvies, the nut-, dairy-, and egg-free sweet treats company, we want to create food that’s made to share, and also a community formed around supportive ideas about living well with food allergies.

To give this community a safe place to “land”, we’ve designed an on-line magazine which we call the battr featuring tips, articles and advice from respected experts in their field. We invite you to get your finger in the battr by going to the site and seeing what it’s all about. We know that your great ideas will help those in the battr community as much as their ideas will help you. That’s just the way things are at Divvies ... sweet treats (and tips) are
made to share.

Me and Me Only - Blog

ldmrmom
by Group Owner on Feb. 6, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Someone recently me sent this and I figured I'd share it before I deleted it from my inbox. ;) :

FROM HERSHEY'S SITE:

Food Allergies

What is a food allergy?

It is an adverse reaction to a food or food component that involves the body's immune system.

How does The Hershey Company manage allergies?

The Hershey Company strives to provide its consumers with accurate, reliable ingredient statements upon which consumers can make their purchase decision. The Hershey Company has an Allergy Task Force that ensures that the ingredient statements are always accurate, and that any allergen statements placed on the label is understandable.

Do your products share plants & equipment?

We take food allergies very seriously at Hershey and have strict procedures in place to prevent crossover of allergens into other products that do not contain the allergen. In instances where we have a concern about possible crossover by an allergen we take the added precaution of including an allergy information statement on the label.

Can you send me an allergen list?

We have found that allergen lists quickly become outdated as our product lines change over time. Rather than have you make purchase decisions based on outdated information, we encourage you to check the ingredient label on the package. This label provides accurate, current information about all the ingredients in the package.

Me and Me Only - Blog

allicatsmom
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 5:47 PM
Here's a site for Cherrybrook Kitchen.  I buy their cake mix for LB's birthday cake.  It's a lot better than FAAN's birthday cake recipe... and it comes in allergy free chocolate that is yummy.

http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/
nolamomof1
by on Apr. 4, 2008 at 6:20 PM
Kids with Food Allergies. -- There is a $25 membership fee to be able to use the forums but if you don't have the money they will give you a sponsership membership (free membership) http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/index.html 

FAAN is another good source of information - http://www.foodallergy.org/ 

Some other possibly helpful links

Support This Site

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)