Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nut Free Foods

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2008 at 6:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 2828 Total Views
I thought it might me nice to start a nut free foods list, that way new parents already have a cheat sheet started for them.

These are what I know off the top of my head, just add yours.

REMEMBER TO ALWAYS CHECK THE LABEL AS LABELS DO CHANGE FROM TIME TO TIME

Candy:

• Hershey Kisses (Dark Chocolate, Hugs, Milk Chocolate)
  • Hershey Bars (Milk Chocolate - check label because some sizes have warnings)
  • Dum Dums (orginal only - filled have nut warnings)
  • Tootsie Rolls
  • Tootsie Roll Pops
  • Junior Mints
  • Junior Caramels
  • Starburst
  • Skittles
  • Merlin's Candy  http://www.merlincandies.com/index.html
  • Hershey Kissables (do contain Shea Butter if that is an issue for you)
Snacks:

• Pringles
  • Lays
  • Ruffles
  • Royal Gold Pretzels
  • Utz Snacks
  • Cheetos
  • Fritoes
  • Oreos
  • Chips Ahoy Cookies (certian varities do have nut warnings but Nabisco is really good about labeling even for cross contamination)
  • Nabisco Animal Crackers
  • Nabisco Honey Maid Grahmn Crackers
  • Austin Zoo Animal Crackers
  • Austin Cheese Crackers
  • Cheezits
  • Goldfish
  • Wheat Thins
  • Wheatables
  • Ritz Crackers (sandwich crackers have nut warning)
  • Yogos
  • Fruit Roll Ups
  • Pop Tarts
  • Jello - pudding and jello
Breakfast Foods:

• Eggos
  • Toaster Strudels
  • Lucky Charms
  • Apple Jacks
  • Special K (there is an almond kind)
  • Cheerios (all but the honey nut, frosted and crunch)
  • Raisin Bran
  • Coco Crisipes
  • Coco Pepples
  • Rice Crisipies
  • Fruity Pepples
  • Kix
Dinner / Lunch

• Kraft Mac and Cheese
  • Hamburger Helper
  • Bush's Baked Beans
  • Rago Pasta Sauce
  • Hungry Jack Instant Mashed Potatos
  • Pioneer Gravy Mix
  • Brain Bologna
  • Oscar Mayer Lunch Meats
  • Ball Park Hot Dogs
  • Stoffers Lasnagna
  • Great Value French Fries
  • Or ida French Fries

This is all I have at the moment, please post the brands you know and love and we can keep adding to it as we find products that are nut free for our children

Support This Site

by on Apr. 4, 2008 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ldmrmom
by Group Owner on Apr. 7, 2008 at 8:03 AM
Great place to start!

We use much of the same foods. Let me think...

Breakfast
- Special K cereal bars 
- Aunt Jemima pankcake mixes (they do contain wheat, milk, soy and egg)

Lunch/Dinner
- Perdue chicken nuggets (we get the dinosaur shaped.)
- Campell chicken noodle soup
- Lipton Noodle soup
- Knorrs/Lipton Cheddar Broccoli Rice (verify each variety)
- Pillsbury dinner rolls/breads/biscuits

Snacks
- Betty Crocker fruit snacks
- Yumsters Yogurt
- GoGurt
- Popcicle Ice pops

Candy/Desserts
- Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix and frosting (Other cake mixes too but we usually end up with a kid demanding the colors in the middle. LOL!)
- Duncan Hines cake mixes (verify by product. They do have a frosting that 'May contain tree nuts"
- Betty Crocker cake mixes and frostings (again verify by product. They do have a Butter Pecan cake mix)
- Hershey chocolate chips for baking chocolate chip cookies

Me and Me Only - My other "home" on the web

ldmrmom
by Group Owner on Apr. 7, 2008 at 8:19 AM
Almost forgot one.

Snacks/desserts

- Entemann's donut holes and donettes. (We use this as munchkin subs)

sharmn25
by on Apr. 8, 2008 at 10:11 AM
Dinner:
homemade tacos/ burritos (we use Old El Paso)

LibbyLife
by Group Admin on Apr. 30, 2008 at 1:21 PM
Here's another candy:  Smarties
calane1226
by on May. 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM
I have a hard time finding protein sources...

What are some of your favs?
Heidi428
by on May. 18, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I'm pretty new with all of this, and am finding grocery shopping endless.  I'm making just about everything from scratch, and it's so time consuming.  Here are a couple we've found so far-

Triscuits
Apple Cinnamon Rice Cakes

ldmrmom
by Group Owner on May. 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Quoting calane1226:

I have a hard time finding protein sources...

What are some of your favs?
Calane, what allergies are you managing and are there any other restrictions or dietary concerns?

Honestly, my biggest problem is finding snack foods that we can use as substitutes when we know something 'not safe' is likely to be served - school parties, birthday parties, etc.

Protein for my peanut and tree nut allergic child looks a lot like it did prior to her reaction. Chicken, cheese, beef (normally only consumed if it looks like  a meatball. LOL!) and things along those lines. She can eat eggs - but won't. ;)  We're holding off on fish for the time being only I'm paranoid. LOL! It's the last thing she's not eaten yet from the top 8 allergen list and I'm not ready to find out the hard way if it's a problem or not. . . .well that and she won't even think of trying it. BUT, that is totally me being paranoid. My food allergic BIL is allergic to nuts, shellfish, fish and eggs. Megan won't eat eggs but could. She's allergic to tree nuts and peanuts.  And then there's my aforementioned paranoia.

ldmrmom
by Group Owner on May. 19, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Quoting Heidi428:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I'm pretty new with all of this, and am finding grocery shopping endless. 

Heidi, it'll get easier, I promise. That first month I hated the supermarket. It was depressing. Now, I still verify labels before we buy products, BUT we've got a pretty good idea of what is and what is not going to be worth considering. Some times it's a product you've noticed the warning labels on before - and sometimes it's just one of "those" products more apt to have some sort of warning on. You develop a system and the supermarket stops sucking hours from your life. (at least more hours than normal. LOL!)

I've found that its MUCH easier to make a shopping list now. I stick as closely to that list as possible and I focus on the products I know have a history of being safe. We still do verify because a manufacturer can change production protocol or locations at any time...but for the most part, we've got a list of 'safe' items that we always end up and its all good.

JacobsMommi04
by on Oct. 25, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Thank you guys for this. As I said in my introduction Shelby (my SD) just had her first reaction to what we are thinking was peanuts. We will get her test results back on Monday or Tues. It's so hard in our situation because we have shared custody of her and we don't feel very comfortable with her being at her mom's because she is know to freak out and panic instead of reacting sensible which we feel could cause MAJOR problems if Shelby were to have a reaction at her house. Sorry that's a little OT. Getting to my point lol...I am making a copy of this list that you guys have provided and make sure to keep it in her bag AT ALL TIMES so that not only she knows but also her school and anyone who comes in contact with her. Thanks again I just know this is going to be one of my "Keep it together" groups!!!!

I Love Being A Mommie

afbaby06
by on Nov. 30, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Hey ladies i just wanted to let you know that i've found a GREAT alternative to peanut butter. Sunflower Butter, not only is it peanut free but tree nut free too. (im not sure under what category sunflower seeds fall under). It specifically says on the bottle that each batch is testeted for any peanut and nut traces  THe brand that i buy is called Natural Sun Butter, and im guessing can be found in most nature food stores, it can be a bit pricey (about 7dollars a bottle) but i dont mind paying for a great and DELICIOUS peanut free alternative, that my daugther loves and enjoys. Hope it works for u guys!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)