Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

working nights to stay home days with my baby ??

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 4:14 PM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter is now 4 months old and i just cant imagine leaving her and missing out on the new fun things she does everyday.  but my boyfriends job is not enough we are more then struggling.  me staying home is no longer an option.  so iv decided that it would be best for me to get a job working nights.  i used to waitress and thought about going back but the problem is that is not a steady guaranteed pay.  and also not exactly the hours im looking for.  id like to have the weekends off to spend with my family and the weekends are when i would usually make the most.  ideally id like to answer phones like costumer service, or work in a hotel over night or even be a 911 operator i dont know i just need a decent paying job that i can do over night so i dont have to miss my babys life.  she sleeps through the night now and my SO goes to work at 7am. so id have to be home by then.  but also mt landlord has offered to help watch her if need be. so if i needed her for an hour or 2 a day id be ok with that but not much longer.  i figure i can sleep during my baby;s naps and while she plays on her play matt(this is when i ussaully to house work) but i lso have alot of down time during the day. i thinking working nights would be perfect for my situation i just dont know how to go about getting a good night shift job.. iv been looking online and everything i find is secerity gaurd ect.  so im just wondering if any of you work nights and what you do and how you found the job and if you like the hours any input on this would be great 

by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
allison712
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I work nights at the local nursing home as a CNA.  It works but is not an ideal situation for me.  I have a four year old and twin 1 year olds. When they were babies it was ok but it is now getting harder now that they are older and more active.  Some days I only sleep 2-3 hours before going back into work.  GOOD LUCK and I hope things go well for you

Allisontoddler boytwin boys

Laidbackmama123
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM

When I finally needed to go back to work the best place I found was going to work at a hospital. It may take some persistence to get in but they normally pay well. I worked doing staffing and then as a unit secretary with no or minimal prior training. It worked great although I recommend evening shifts more than the night ones that way you can get some sleep other than just at nap time.

Hope this helps even a little? Oh one of the problems I had though was my SO put my son to bed every night so when I started working a day shift my son wouldn't sleep for me any more... 9 months later were finially getting over that.

Melissa

butrflyekises
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Quoting Laidbackmama123:

When I finally needed to go back to work the best place I found was going to work at a hospital. It may take some persistence to get in but they normally pay well. I worked doing staffing and then as a unit secretary with no or minimal prior training. It worked great although I recommend evening shifts more than the night ones that way you can get some sleep other than just at nap time.

Hope this helps even a little? Oh one of the problems I had though was my SO put my son to bed every night so when I started working a day shift my son wouldn't sleep for me any more... 9 months later were finially getting over that.

Melissa

thanks for the tip.. i would deff like to work in a hospital i dident even think of it! im gunna go and try to apply to the ones near my house... 

Firsttimemom252
by New Member on Oct. 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I work as a dietary aide at a nursing home in the kitchen.I mostly work 1pm to 8pm some days I work 12pm to 8pm

CafeMom Tickers
mnwintercritter
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 9:46 PM

West from Home and Alpine are a couple companies that have you doing phone work from home. But they don't pay an hourly wage. They pay by the minute for your time on a call. You can find them doing a regular internet search. I used to work nights doing customer technical support (phone internet support) for Thomson West which is now Thomson Rueters.  That was ideal. I worked 10PM to 6:30 and one weekend a month.  I slept about three hours before work and four hours in the morning. Worked great on my 3yo's schedule. Only needed to have a neighbor's high schooler come over and feed my little one's dinner three nights a week to give my roommate a break and then my roommate didn't need to do anything but be there while he slept.

I would suggest you target a company and look to see if they have a call center that is either close to you or internet based. I have a friend who is a nurse and answers an insurance company's Nurse line off business hours through West from Home. I have another girl friend with insurance licensing and she works from home answering phone calls for and auto insurers accident/emergency line. But most internet based companies like progressive, geico, shopNBC, etc...I would imagine that they mostly do their call centers from web based home workers. Never hurts to try to research it to see if it may be something working for you.  Another company I worked for was AC Neilsen doing surveys and inventory. Very similar to their "Homescan" program except that they send you to stores to specifically look for particular product, scan them and enter their prices on your hand helds. They paid hourly, travel time and milage. The wonderful thing about them is that you make your own schedule so if all your stores are 24 hour groceries, convience stores, drug stores and gas stations it pretty much allows you two days to do a survey so I could have my son spend a night at a friend's house or sleep at home with the roomate while I worked.Check out their web site, I don't remember the actual title but it was something like Retail Data Collection Agent (RDC Agent) but they change the titles from time to time so it can be hard to track down that position.

I was a single parent so these companies really helped. Almost all my friends were willing to help out with childcare as long as my son was sleeping and didn't require actual hands on care. Being able to have them help didn't keep my roommate tied to my schedule and having to sacrifice her free time to help me out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)