Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Completely overwhelmed with 3 kids (including newborn baby) and a full time job

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM
  • 13 Replies

I thought that I would be able to handle taking care of a home, bills, 3 kids, new baby, housework, and full time job but I am just scraping by and not very well.  My house is a wreck, we eat take out more than I can count cause I'm too tired to cook, I get very little sleep with the new baby, my kids nearly miss the bus every morning, and I'm constantly late to work.

There have got to be some ways to be more organized and get my days going better.

Ideas????

by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreativeEdge
by on Mar. 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM
How old are your children, other than the newborn? Maybe if they are old enough, they could help out with the housework. with rewards for helping. :: shrug :: Maybe that could help little in that area. My head would be spinning too if I had all that to fill my day. Good luck Mama!
poptart106
by Member on Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM
Hard to give advise without knowing the kids' ages. But I am due to give birth in May with my fourth (two are teenagers) and advice I can give is use a crock pot. I also work full time and it is so much easier. It doesn't take much to get it ready in the morning. Or you can get it in the pot at night, put in the fridge, and then turn it on in the morning. There are crockpot groups you can join on cafemom and get receipes there.
twiggee
by Lisa on Mar. 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I don't know the ages but my DD and DS cause me grief in the morning too they are 7 and 10 and I walk out the door with them everyday to make it to work on time one thing that works most mornings is no t.v. video games or computer until they are completly dressed bags packed and breakfast eaten.

jhelmke
by Member on Mar. 10, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I work full-time too.  My son is 10 years old.  I not sure of your kids ages.  He packs his backpack and extra activity bag the night before. Clothes are laid out the night before. He sometimes helps with breakfast, but I also keep allot of stuff on hand.  Our household crock pot allot.  We also prep the first 3 days  suppers of the week  on Sunday. My husband, son and myself do it as a team.  It saves rushing around on other days so much.  Our day starts early 5:45 a.m. in the morning.

choco_mom
by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 11:58 AM

do as much as you can the night before after the  older kids are in bed.  Crockpot is awesome!  Make some stuff on the weekends that you can freeze and just heat up. Make a menu plan for the week.

As for the house, have the kids help if they can.  If not I just try to do one thing a night so I don't get overwhelemed.  Your house may never seeem all cleaned at the same time but at least toilets will be clean and floors swept sometimes LOL!   Do one loan of laundry every other day.  LIttle things like that, and try not to sweat the small stuff.  do you have any family that can help out on the weekends, maybe come over once in awhile so you can get a nap now and then??

Hope these help!

When I count my blessings I count chocolate twice.

TexasRDA
by on Mar. 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I didn't realize that I forgot to give ages.

Tyler 13

Ariel 6

Caden 2 1/2 months

My husband leaves the house at 4:00 a.m. so he is no help in the morning.

poptart106
by Member on Mar. 16, 2010 at 8:36 AM
I responded earlier but now that I know the ages, I'll respond again. My kids are 16, 13, 18 mos, and one due in May. We'll take the 16 year old out of the equation since all I do with him is wake him up for school and he does his own thing. This is my morning (I realize I don't have a six year and I know they can be tough in the morning): I get up and take a shower, then wake the oldest up, the baby wakes up and SO gets him his milk and a cereal bar and he sits on my bed watching his show while I get ready, somewhere in there I wake I wake up the 13 year old and he goes down and gets himself something to eat (cereal or carnation breakfast-it's what he likes and weekends I'll make breakfast if he's up), when I brush my teeth and dry my hair, baby follows and he'll even follow his big brother downstairs. Last thing I do before going downstairs is get baby dressed. I make sure we are done upstairs before going down to avoid having to waste time going up and down. Then I pack baby's lunch and my lunch (rarely do it at night) and if I'm using the crockpot, throw in dinner. While downstairs baby eats this and that (likes sausage I can throw in the microwave and cereal) and I make a waffle for him to eat when he gets to school. So, can your 13 year old get his own breakfast? Give your 6 year old cereal? And a drink? Pick out clothes the night before? What I used to do with the older two was if they got up and dressed within a certain amount of time they got to pick out something on the weekend at the dollar store. That worked. Then when I got a tv in my kitchen I set a timer and they had to be dressed in five minutes in order to have breakfast with the tv on. They are very good at getting up now. But I have to say, when the baby is born my mornings might be a mess. Lol. With the first two I was a SAHM, now I work full time. Sorry so long.
handsfreemom
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I also use a crock pot, which is wonderful.  But on the weekends I'll make big batches of food like lasagna, chili, etc for dinner & lunch, then I have a food saver, divide things up into foodsaver bags and freeze for meals later - works wonders to have great meals all ready done - just thaw during the day & reheat!  I also use it to save money by buying the big family sale packs of meat at the store and freeze smaller portions individually.  Anyways...

I have bins with everyone's name on it, and other stuff like bills.  That way my counters stay clear & I don't have to sit and pick up/sort things.  Everyone old enough is responsible for cleaning their bin on Saturday.  I pick one night a week to sit down with the bill bin (which my checkbook sits in and pay bills)

I let my house get messy and Sundays we pick it all up, with my toddler it's hardly worth picking up the tea set 3 times a day!

I try to pre-plan with lists on the fridge and a calendar.  If we're out of something like juice don't tell me, just write it on the fridge (did wonders when the DH started to use my system!)

As for the newborn - do you breast feed, pump/bottles, or formula?  I pumped milk into bottles & froze/fed.  I always pre-set the number of bottles needed for the next day in the fridge already done so they were ready to pull out then next day.

Good Luck!

TexasRDA
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I pump and put the milk in either bottles or pouches and then put them in a box in the fridge just for my milk. My daughter is the biggest problem.  She is pretty spoiled (My fault) and she likes to lay around, whinning about being tired and has to be told to do everything at least 3 times. She is normally what makes us late in the mornings.

Quoting handsfreemom:

I also use a crock pot, which is wonderful.  But on the weekends I'll make big batches of food like lasagna, chili, etc for dinner & lunch, then I have a food saver, divide things up into foodsaver bags and freeze for meals later - works wonders to have great meals all ready done - just thaw during the day & reheat!  I also use it to save money by buying the big family sale packs of meat at the store and freeze smaller portions individually.  Anyways...

I have bins with everyone's name on it, and other stuff like bills.  That way my counters stay clear & I don't have to sit and pick up/sort things.  Everyone old enough is responsible for cleaning their bin on Saturday.  I pick one night a week to sit down with the bill bin (which my checkbook sits in and pay bills)

I let my house get messy and Sundays we pick it all up, with my toddler it's hardly worth picking up the tea set 3 times a day!

I try to pre-plan with lists on the fridge and a calendar.  If we're out of something like juice don't tell me, just write it on the fridge (did wonders when the DH started to use my system!)

As for the newborn - do you breast feed, pump/bottles, or formula?  I pumped milk into bottles & froze/fed.  I always pre-set the number of bottles needed for the next day in the fridge already done so they were ready to pull out then next day.

Good Luck!

handsfreemom
by on Mar. 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Good luck!  Do you have a pumping bra?  check out www.handsfreepumpbra.com - works wonders for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN