Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What are your secrets to keeping your house at least relatively clean?  Do you hire it out?  Or just decide to let it slide most of the time? 

I do ok when it comes to laundry...I've recently decided a load a night is better than saving it all for the weekend. At least that way I don't have quite as many loads to do on the weekend. We get the kitchen pretty straight each night, but mail is taking over our flat surfaces by Wednesday! My bathrooms don't get cleaned with more than a clorox wipe more often than I care to admit. We are pretty good about the floors now that the baby is crawling so much.

Has anyone tried one of the steam mops from Hoover or the Shark?  How do you like it?

by on May. 17, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Replies (11-18):
poptart106
by Member on May. 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Yeah, I have an issue with the papers too.  They sit either on a corner of the kitchen table, the end of the counter, and then they periodically get sent over to the desk.  In there is a mixture of things I think I want to save at the time, bills, and client stuff (bf has a business aside from his regular job).  Somethings are important like the business deposits and stuff but no matter how I organize the stuff, it never seems good enough and I always feel disorganized... just like the rest of the house.  The thing is I don't do the washing part of the laundry (bf does that).  I mostly fold a put away.  I also don't do the grocery shopping.  I make a list and bf goes but I don't the putting away.  I do the cleaning which is hard to keep up with with the 2 1/2 year old and the 1 year old old.  I also do all the cooking and most of the caring for the kids, plus I work full time.  Plus I have teenagers that will empty the dishwasher, vacuum the stairs, take out the garbage, mow the lawn, pick up dog poop, and feed the dog.  Geez when I write this, it doesn't seem so bad but it is.  I think it's the disorganization that is driving me insane and making the house a disaster.

jodiandjonny
by on May. 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM
I'm the same way with papers. My sons school work goes from the bookbag to the coffee table. His toys are really out of control though. When we move into our new house he will have a play room. And my hope is that the clutter will just magically vanish. It's just so hard to clean after working all day. I want to spend time with my son and help him with his homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisakansas
by on May. 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Pay a cleaning service.  :)  sooooo worth it!

dstoeck
by Member on May. 30, 2011 at 3:40 PM

a cleaning service is nice when one can afford one. I used to have someone come twice a month and it was well worth the money. but now we can not afford such a luxury.

I just set up a chore chart for my kids (2 yo included) where they can check off what they did for me each day. I keep a tally on our family calendar. When all three kids provide me with 25 tasks we will go for yogurt or something fun.  It's working so far, I just have to remember to tally the marks on the calendar.  I'm hoping that this will help them work together as a team rather than arguing all the time "I DIDN"T put it there!" I don't know who it  belongs to. It's not mine! I'm not putting it up or cleaning it!" LOL!

Gena0406
by on May. 31, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I try to clean as messes are made and do 1-2 loads of laundry every other day.  Every Saturday morning is "cleaning day" as my kids call it and we dust, wipe down the counters and scrub the bathrooms, etc.  If I keep up with it then it's not much to clean every week.

furbabymum
by Member on May. 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM

We dont' have any crap. lol Seriously. We don't have many knick knacks or decorations. not a lot of furniture either. So, I can not clean for a month and our house looks alright. It's really uncluttered. lol

I do sweep pretty often as we have 4 big dogs. Damn dogs make it impossible to have clean floors.

jodiandjonny
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM
I think I found my secret to cleaning. I've been up since 5a. And after my first cup of coffee, I started cleaning. My son is still asleep and I'm almost done! I think this will be a weekly thing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollywogs
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 3:08 AM

I don't feel I ever really catch up so my house is clean enough for me.  My teen girls are the worst.  They literally leave a trail of mess wherever they go. Getting them to pick up their things is like pulling teeth.  Their bathroom is gross.  Their rooms are a mess.  I work so much and so does my husband as he has his own moving company that does well.  He often travels so limited help.  He is great when he is here though.  Right now I'm using a new android app on my evo phone called Cozi.  It organizes the family schedule  easily.  There are to do lists available for everyone to see so I can make a todo list for each person or make one that is project oriented.  I use it for just our family of 5.  There is a grocery lists area.  I have a regular grocery list and also one for our father's day getogether with the extended family. 

We have a lawn maintenance company because my dh won't let me do it and it is just working smart for him.  He makes more per hour than what we pay the lawn guy but spends hours if he does it himself.  The lawn company does it in 30 minutes and are very reasonable.  We are entertaining the idea of a maid.  We've had them before and it is a great help.  I'm always trying to declutter the house. So much to do all the time!!

juggling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)