Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Really?! At my job?!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have a friend that's a SAHD, has been for a few years. Occasionally he comes up to my job and we go out to lunch. Today was one of those days. I get out to my car and he's wearing a bright red Ironman cap, a blue Superman tank top, some long short/man capris and flip-flops. He looked a complete and total mess! I rushed thru our hug because I was in such a rush to get him in the car and off the property before anybody saw him, I was so embarrassed and a little angry.

Ever had someone from your non-work life embarrass you at your job?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessimicuh
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM
why be angry and embarrassed? you're not a friend if you can't accept his style.. That's his form of expressing himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM

It's not his style.  I've seen his style.  That wasn't it.  He literally looked like he got dressed in the dark out a basket of random clothes.  I was embarrassed by and for him. 

I was angry mostly because (and this might just be a reflection of my upbringing) I believe the way you dress for an appointment, party, gathering, etc reflects your respect/feelings for the other party.  I would never show up for a lunch with a friend looking like I just rolled out of bed.  I feel like that's disrespectful and hateful.

Quoting jessimicuh:

why be angry and embarrassed? you're not a friend if you can't accept his style.. That's his form of expressing himself.

jessimicuh
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM
well i'm sorry he embarrased you.. Maybe you should address the matter with him..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I would not have been pleased at all!sorry that happened!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Wish I could, but he's entirely too sensitive. That's why I'm venting on CM.

Quoting jessimicuh:

well i'm sorry he embarrased you.. Maybe you should address the matter with him..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM
2 moms liked this

tsk tsk

I always know that if I'm going to a place of business to see a friend that I'm representing that friend and try to dress nicely, or at least presentable. It stinks that he put you in this position, and now you may try to plan to meet him off company property.

I've never had anyone embarrass me on my job because I'm really really careful who I allow around my job. However, I think DH embarrassed himself a little when he got too drunk at his Christmas party once and took a dare to dance on the table :P  Yeah, he didn't live that one down for the rest of his time there! :)

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I try to keep my non-work life out of my work life.  I don't allow people to come see me at work.  Even DH hasn't been to my building.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I've had ex boyfriends show up being idiots at previous jobs, I don't invite people to my work anymore.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM
That wouldn't embarrass me. I'd crack up and appreciate it actually. Haha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamberrypie
by Betty on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have been embarrassed and a little angry too.  Yes, we should love our friends just the way they are, but around a work environment, it's just different.  We are judged by who we associate with, and, yes, it could reflect badly on us because coworkers and management can transfer those negative judgements and thoughts onto us regardless of whether they may be valid or not.   Its just human nature to do that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN