Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

S/O Heath insurance at your job

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM
  • 16 Replies

How important was health insurance coverage to you when you chose to work where you do?  Do you use your health insurance offered? Do they offer it?  Would you turn down a job if they did not have good enough health insurance or take a less than ideal job for better health care?

doctor

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Currently, it is not too important since I would have the option of going on my husband's, which is great.  If he were ever to lose coverage, I would put everyone on mine.  I have worked many jobs that offered no health insurance and paid out of pocket for anything that came up. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Extremely important!!  Growing up, we had health insurance here and there and with all of us in sports, it was important to have it.  I definitely wanted to make sure that I get good health insurance when I had a job.  Of course, I've worked at a university since I left college so each of them provided health insurance. 

My husband is a teacher and we would have to pay $1000 a month for our entire family if we were under his.....we pay $125 a month through my work.  He has looked at jobs that do not have good health insurance because my work does have it.  He wouldn't have a problem accepting a job that doesn't have good insurance.  Now, if we needed his insurance, I would hope that would be part of his job offer.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I currently have amazing insurance, everything is covered for a small copay and low cost premium deducted from my pay. It is important for us because we are a family of 5. Not that we are always sick or going to the hospital but it is good to know we can see a doctor or go to the ER if needed and it's covered. I don't have to stress about how we are going to cover the bill. The benefits and work schedule are what I work for, that and the students I work with.

My husband has insurance through his employer as well. His plan is no where close to as good as mine (large premium and out of pocket deductions) which is a shame since he now works for a fortune 500 corporation. Our kids are currently covered by both plans b/c I wasn't sure if I was going to return to work this fall due to my on going health issues.

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM

At the time I took my job (14 years ago) health insurance was not important. But now that i have 2 kids, I would not take a job with less than excellent health insurance. But I have been spoiled by what I have. 

rissarin
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM
My place of employment doesn't offer it. It's not important to me, really. We have insurance through the military via hubby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamberrypie
by Betty on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

At this job, yes, it was super important that they offered health insurance coverage.  My DH was laid off a year ago, and I needed to have a job that would provide health insurance coverage for the entire family.   Prior to DH getting laid off, we got the coverage through his job.  Paying for healthcare out of our own pocket would have cost us nearly $1800 per month.   Definitely not a good thing.

momof2ex1
by Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Insurance was important when I found my current job. I was going through a divorce and knew that i would need my own health care coverage. I was excited about the dental benefits as well which we never had.

I was offered an accountant position by a friend of a friend's wife. She knows what I do and thought I'd be a good fit. It paid a LOT more than I make now AND I'd be actually doing what I want to do. However there is no insurance and no 401K. So I turned the job down. My employer pays for my health insurance and pays 3/4 of my children's premiums. Plus matches up to 6% for my 401K plus offers my salary in accidental death insurance. After all the benefits I receive, I would not leave this job unless I found one that matches the Benefits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Insuranceis not offered at my current employer. That is why I am getting my BS in Business Admin/Management. My DH and DDs are covered thru state right now since he is disabled and we are single income, but I have no insurance and do not qualify for state financially (we get other assistance due to his disability, and I will be glad when I can say goodbye to the lot of them lol) My last obgyn visit cost 160.00, and that was for basic care; I should have a full physical done because I am having issues gaining weight again, and it could be my thyroid doing weird post partum stuff, but those blood tests are too costly for us to manage out of pocket.

So yes, the next time I am looking for a job (which will be when I graduate hopefully in Nov 2013) insurance benefits will be right up there with more than I am earning now.
Mrs.Bryant1201
by Coupon Diva on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:54 AM

My job offers insurance, but from what ive heard its not that good,and its expensive. Dh's job pays for our wonderful insurance! :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

flutter523
by Tracy on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM
When I first started I was fresh out of college so it wasn't a huge deal breaker but it was available so I signed up. Now, with a child, it's huge. If I switch jobs it's definitely a needed benefit. Especially since SO doesn't have any
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN