Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Two Weeks Notice

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM
  • 15 Replies

I've always given a minimum of 2 weeks notice whenever I have left a job, and when I can give more notice I will.   At my last job, at a call center, many people gave very little notice whenever they left.  I guess that was the culture within that industry, but it still shocked me.   One of my co-workers came in one day, and said today was her last day there, so basically she gave no notice at all!

Have you always given 2 weeks notice?

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I think out of all of the jobs I've had I have always given at least two weeks notice, except for one.

elwalters77
by Erica on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Yes. In fact, I gave my 2 weeks notice at my current job a week ago. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I haven't had very many jobs unless you count high school jobs. But I dont remember how those ended. My last job in high school, they didn't give us notice until the day of that they were closing their doors and we could all go home.
I only walked out of one Job and didn't go back. It was an awful dentist office and the women were just horrid towards me. I went home at lunch and never went back. Of the few other jobs I've had, I have always given two weeks notice. I had one job tell me to go and they would pay me through the day (even though I gave them two weeks notice).

So what I get from my experiences is that it's expected of an employee to give a two weeks notice but the employer is not required nor expected to do so. I've watched
People work all day long on a Friday only to get let go at 445 obviously with no notice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamberrypie
by Betty on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM

It sure doesn't seem right, does it.

In my 2 Oregon jobs so far, each place made me sign a "contract" that each party (employee or employer) can end the employee's position at will -- meaning that I could quit whenever I wanted, and they could lay me off whenever they wanted.   DH told me that this pretty much standard language these days. 

But, the reality of it is, that if you end up giving less than 2 weeks notice, you can burn bridges with the company, and that's something that should be avoided at all costs.  At my last job, I think I gave nearly 3 weeks notice.  They were unhappy that I was leaving, but told me that I could have my job back if I ever wanted it.  If I had given less notice, they might not have made that offer to me.       

Quoting momof2ex1:

So what I get from my experiences is that it's expected of an employee to give a two weeks notice but the employer is not required nor expected to do so. I've watched
People work all day long on a Friday only to get let go at 445 obviously with no notice.

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I have aleays given 2 weeks notice. Some jobs ended with school. Others had a term feom hire so we all knew was over. With my level now a month notice is expected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy200
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM
honestly, it depends. I have had some really crappy jobs and I honestly dont feel obligated to give two weeks when I was treated like crap the entire time I was there. In all my professional jobs, yes, except one because my sitter quit on short notice and I didnt have a choice at the time, but I gave almost two weeks at the time and offered to tie up loose ends by phone and email as needed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

besides some crappy high school jobs, yes.

Mrs.Bryant1201
by Coupon Diva on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Yes. I just put in my 2 week at my job, but im having some wicked pregnancy issues. My bosses told me whenever in ready to work to just call and they will fit me in. For now, I need to be on bed rest :/

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

flutter523
by Tracy on Jul. 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Usually yes. Now I'm expected to give 30 days notice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:48 AM

There's only been one time that I didn't give 2 weeks notice and it was because I figured I'd gotten fired. I was told if I missed/was late one more day I'd be fired and I woke up 2 hours after my shift started so I stayed home. That was about 10 or more years ago so I've grown up since then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN