Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice about hiring help

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi, I just joined this group and am looking for advice. I'm finding it harder to fit in work with my three kids (especially since the birth of my third 7 weeks ago). I work mainly from home and have had my mom watch my kids sometimes for a few hours once a week, but other than that I am waking up early and working late after they're asleep and try to fit it in during their quiet time. I rarely get breaks and I'm getting burnt out!

One of my jobs is getting more strict and will require me to work uninterupted, but I'd rather have my kids home if I can. I'm thinking of hiring someone to come for a few hours 2-3 times a week to help. I could take short breaks to check in on them and be there to care for my baby, who is still getting into a schedule with naps and eating. She is mainly bottle-fed though so looking into getting a sitter away from home could work, or I could keep her home and get a sitter for the older two. I think hiring a sitter would be well worth it because I would be able to work more hours. Thoughts or advice?

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Hi and Welcome!

I imagine it's hard to get work done with 3 kids at home! I think you have a good idea of hiring someone to come in and help so you have time to focus and get your work done. That gives you the flexibility to be with your infant while giving your older children some entertainment. I think will also allow you to focus on all your kids more when you aren't having to work.

If I were to do that, I would have to move my office to a more secluded place in the house so I wasn't where all the action was. In college, I did similar work for a family and it worked well.

Good luck!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Good morning and welcome.

Kudos to u, getting anything done with 3 little ones, is amazing.

I know I would have no choice but to get help, but I had high needs babies. And especially from like 8-18 months, the baby will need lots of attention NOW, well, she will think so, lol. You can put ads in church, ask around the neighborhood, local colleges are good places to start looking for part-time help. Sitter city looked promising when i perused the idea of getting a home nanny and some employers will subscribe or reimburse for employees.

How old are your other children? Every family has different needs, but I am a huge advocate for formal pre-school and pre-K, if you can fit it in your budget.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ConnersMom03
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I agree, I really think it would work best to have help come here. I'm thinking Monday, Wednesday and Friday from about 12:00-4:00 or 5:00pm would give me a good chunk of time to get things done. My son will be in Kindergarten next month. We're hoping he gets into mornings so perhaps at that point I could have a sitter watch my girls in the mornings. My desk is in a corner in our bedroom so it would be easy to close the door and focus on work. My baby's bed is also in there so I could keep an eye on her when she's sleeping. :)

Quoting Loveplusmama:

Hi and Welcome!

I imagine it's hard to get work done with 3 kids at home! I think you have a good idea of hiring someone to come in and help so you have time to focus and get your work done. That gives you the flexibility to be with your infant while giving your older children some entertainment. I think will also allow you to focus on all your kids more when you aren't having to work.

If I were to do that, I would have to move my office to a more secluded place in the house so I wasn't where all the action was. In college, I did similar work for a family and it worked well.

Good luck!

ConnersMom03
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

My older kids will be 6 and 3 in October. I'm not sure we could fit preschool in the budget for my 2 year old, but I like the idea and will look into it. Maybe this fall she could go to a preschool while my son is at Kindergarten and that could be my time to work.

Quoting Marti123:

Good morning and welcome.

Kudos to u, getting anything done with 3 little ones, is amazing.

I know I would have no choice but to get help, but I had high needs babies. And especially from like 8-18 months, the baby will need lots of attention NOW, well, she will think so, lol. You can put ads in church, ask around the neighborhood, local colleges are good places to start looking for part-time help. Sitter city looked promising when i perused the idea of getting a home nanny and some employers will subscribe or reimburse for employees.

How old are your other children? Every family has different needs, but I am a huge advocate for formal pre-school and pre-K, if you can fit it in your budget.

Good luck!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

If you are going to be right there, I think it would be better.  You can monitor what is going on, but still be uninterrupted. 

christyg
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

As a home daycare provider, I have two moms that live in my neighborhood and work from home. I have been able to give them a discounted rate because they can be flexible with thier hours and work around when I have openings, rather than needing a set schedule of days reserved. We work really good together to juggle schedules, and they love being close enough to drop by anytime but not having kids under their feet.

Maybe you can look into something similar, so the kids are out of the house completely and you can focus soley on your work. You will probably be surprised how fast you can get it done if you have uninterupted time to focus. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I wouldn't be able to get anything done with 3 young kidsvat home. Try advertising at local churches and local colleges.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM

We hired a baby sitter to come in when DS about 6 months old and DH needed to get work done. It worked out well because DH was right there if something happened but he was still able to close the door to the office and get work done.

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

It sounds like a good plan to me.  My mom worked at home for awhile with four of us and she ended up with a full-time nanny.  that was the only way she could actually get her work done.

As long as you have an actual office where you can get away from it all then I think it's a good plan.

ConnersMom03
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Thanks for all your replies, this is such a helpful group! :) I will talk to hubby and let you know what we decide. Thanks for all your suggestions. I think from here it's deciding if I have someone watch them here or away from home and the days/hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)