Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Friends! How many of us have them?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you have non-work friends?

Between work and my family I don't really have time to make friends outside of work.  The "friends" I have that I don't currently work or previously worked with are wives or siblings of DH's friends or are family members.

All of my mom's friends are the same...either people she met at work or wives of my dad's friends.

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iea13
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM
No non-work friends for me. I want to change that. I really just talk to family and co-workers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

the few friends i have are from long ago. i don't remember the last time i made a new friend.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Yes and no. Close friends that I see all the time? No.  Friends that are far away that I chat with occasionally but would love to visit and miss terribly? Yes. I think when you have kids, your time becomes so precious and making new friends just takes too much time. Also, I don't really want to bring my kid around someone I barely know. 

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I think all my friends were people I met at work (whether they work there anymore or not) 

KatieBellsMom
by Tracy on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Not really. My BF from high school & I are losing touch, my gym buddy & I are losing touch because our gym closed & we both have 2 kids, I am "Friendly" with a couple mom's from daycare but not REALLY enough to call them true friends.

I have 1 friend from another group here on CM that I hang out a lot & talk to pretty much daily...that's about it. :( Sad.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I randomly met a woman from my neighborhood on a walk.  Her daughter is 2 days older than mine, so we set up a playdate to see how everyone would get along.  She is a great person, and just as busy as I am.  She turned into a friend.

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I don't have a huge amount of friends here; I moved here almost 2 years ago without knowing anybody.  My two closest friends here I both met through my fiance... one is our neighbour (he was already living here so he introduced us) and she moved to Jersey when she got married a month ago.  The other is one of his coworkers who is dating one of his best friends.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I have a few. We don't get together as much as we used to. The one I see the most is the only person I've kept in touch with since high school. We go out to see his band play often, I see some of my friends that way.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I have a few but they're mostly people I met through my bro and sil. I met my friend Meg when she started dating a friend of mine (they're divorced now and I talk to her more than I talk to him) A couple are Meg's bro and sil. They're our go-to couple to hang out with...Tyler being a massage therapist is a nice perk too lol. Dh doesn't really get along with my bro and sil for various reasons. I did meet a lady here on cm that's part of our Sept 2010 baby group and we get our boys together once a month or so. Her son was born 2 weeks after ds so it's nice for them to have someone their age to play with.

jamberrypie
by Betty on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I have a few, but they are not super close.  I wish I could change this situation because I crave closer friendships, but there just isn't enough time to nurture a brand new friendship.   The existing friends I have, I may only see them once every 3 - 6 months.  With a new friend, if you only saw them once every 6 months, it's hard to move that friendship to the next level.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)