Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Can we work full time and feed our families well?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM
  • 12 Replies

Work keeps parents away from the kitchen

(Work keeps parents away…)

Those parents who work full time are too busy and stressed to cook for their kids, a new study has found.

The survey of 3700 US parents found that working mothers cook fewer meals, are more likely to serve fast food as meals, spend less time preparing food and give their children less encouragement to eat healthy.

The higher the work/life stress the less likely it is for families to eat together.

Highly stressed parents are preparing only four meals a week at home, compared with 5 and half meals for those who are not stressed.

Mothers who work full time spend 8.8 hours a week cooking and preparing meals, as opposed to 11 and a half hours put by those who are not employed.

Similarly, fathers who work full time also spend less time preparing meals.

Those who do not work at all or work part time spend 7.4 hours a week preparing food, compared with 4.7 hours for those who work full time.

Lead researcher Dr Katherine Bauer of Temple University said reducing parents' work/life stress could benefit family food.

"Engaging all (the) family ... in meal preparation can also alleviate the burden on working women," News.co.au quoted Dr Bauer as saying.

Dietitian Kate di Prima sees full time working parents as those who are "time-strapped and not as organised as they would like to be to cook every night".

"Many people see cooking as very labour-intensive and tiring at night and so it goes to the bottom of the priority pile and they end up ringing up for pizza," she added.

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I call BS.  I may feel exhausted, run down, and often don't want to cook, but even if we order out, I get something healthy for DD.  She asks for fruit and veggies over sweets (except donuts).  She actually begged for some of my broccoli the other night. 

Even nights like tonight, when I have class relatively soon after work, I will go home and cook a meal for her and DH, then off to school for me. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM
I applaud the 8.8 hours of meal preparation, truly.

I am soooo lucky, because 1) I like to cook. 2) my DH will eat anything and be appreciative. I see other moms who hate to cook or have picky spouses, and you know, I cannot blame them for wanting to call for take-out every night or do pre-prepared foods!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Even 8.8 hours is over an hour a day.  I usually have meals I can prepare in less than a half hour.  They are healthy.  Breakfast and lunch (on weekends) are healthy, and take little prep time.  It doesn't take me long to make homemade meals.  Cleanup is usually more time-consuming.

Quoting Marti123:

I applaud the 8.8 hours of meal preparation, truly.

I am soooo lucky, because 1) I like to cook. 2) my DH will eat anything and be appreciative. I see other moms who hate to cook or have picky spouses, and you know, I cannot blame them for wanting to call for take-out every night or do pre-prepared foods!

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Ditto. I work hard to plan meals that are good for my family. My kids eat most of what I put in front of them and hubby likes almost anything. He is a big help too when his schedele allows. I get really annoyed at this topic in particular bc I work hard to overcome it (and I work in public health and have heard too many program voluteers tell me that part of the problem is working mothers. HELLO do you see who you are talking too??)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I do all my dinners on Sunday afternoon so I only have to warm up or cook quick stuff (like I'll make spaghetti sauce on Sunday but cook the noodles the night we eat it). Not my problem SAHMs as a whole can't budget their time. Doesn't mean I feed my kid crap because I'm more efficient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I make sure ds eats healthy

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I do not spend a lot of time cooking but I do work more then most people, plus 2 full days a week I'm not home.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jul. 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I've gotten better about cooking more since I moved to 1st shift. If we do go out to eat I always make sure to order something healthier for ds.

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Some weeks I'm completely prepared and able to cook every night of the week.  Other weeks are harder.  Knowing DH can and will occasionally cook, helps.  When my kids want to help cook is awesome, because I get to spend time with them, instruct them and get dinner on the table all at once.

Truthfully, I'm more likely to order in on weekends when I'm off...because it's my day off...from all kinds of work.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Our normal night for ordering in is Friday.  The week is done and I am usually exhausted.  I usually get outback or BJ's, sometimes chili's or El Torito.  I ALWAYS get a healthy option for DD, and she usually eats off my plate, too, which is usually chicken and some veggies.  In fact, the other night, she was begging for some of my broccoli.

Quoting Babujai:

Some weeks I'm completely prepared and able to cook every night of the week.  Other weeks are harder.  Knowing DH can and will occasionally cook, helps.  When my kids want to help cook is awesome, because I get to spend time with them, instruct them and get dinner on the table all at once.

Truthfully, I'm more likely to order in on weekends when I'm off...because it's my day off...from all kinds of work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)