Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Why Do You Work?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM
  • 31 Replies

What is your motivation to have a job? 

The career, the money, or something else?

Michaela
Wife to Mike
Mommy to Mitchell and Brody

by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

It is mostly money. But i really like my job, too. 

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Mostly the money. It's helping pay our bills and save up money for ds's college fund and my new truck which we should be able to straight up pay for when we get our tax return next year. If dh gets a raise in Oct when he gets hired full time hopefully we'll be able to talk more about me quitting or going part time. Maybe I'll look into going back to school.

flutter523
by Tracy on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Money. If we didn't need it I wouldnt be where I am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieBellsMom
by Tracy on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Well - beyond helping to pay for the house, etc. I need to work. I would not be a good SAHM.

We could get by with out my salary if we pull the girls out of daycare...but honestly. I can't teach them what they learn there. I'm not made that way.

So I work to pay for daycare & help w/ the bills...but I also work for my sanity.

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

What Tracy said.  Also, I really like my job.  And I'm good at it. It's nice to have satisfaction of doing a good job with something not at home.

Quoting KatieBellsMom:

Well - beyond helping to pay for the house, etc. I need to work. I would not be a good SAHM.

We could get by with out my salary if we pull the girls out of daycare...but honestly. I can't teach them what they learn there. I'm not made that way.

So I work to pay for daycare & help w/ the bills...but I also work for my sanity.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Honestly, my motivation is money.  If I didn't work we'd be renting a shack, eating ramen noodles for every meal, and be using public assistance for bare necessities, etc.  Not that there's anything wrong with public assistance for those who need it, but if I'm able to work in order to provide for my family without assistance I'm going to do it.

I also work for the insurance - could never afford to buy that alone. 

I will say, that IF my husband made enough to satisfactorily provide for us (without going into debt) and he enjoyed what he was doing, I would very likely quit working.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM
This.

Quoting Bubbie0809:

It is mostly money. But i really like my job, too. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Quoting KatieBellsMom:

It's the same for me. We could get by on my husband's salary if we tried, but honestly, I don't want to. I feel like our current system is better for us as a whole and each of us individually. 

Plus, this schedule takes stress off of my husband while he's also going to school. He'll probably have to quit his job and find a lesser paying one in a year or so when he has to do student teaching. It's advantageous for me to keep my good job in preparation for that time.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Health insurance. We have amazing insurance at very little cost to the employee.

I love the students that I work with but to be honest if my husband's company offered the health insurance my job provides I probably wouldn't be working.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM

single mom, I kinda have to. But also I'd go nuts being at home all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)