Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Anybody work nights?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM
  • 16 Replies
I've been doin it 5 yrs now. And they have the ability to force me to work my days off and up to 17 hrs. Kinda demanding but the hubby's on disability and I'll be quitting in a few months. God's provided us a lot with that job. Including a lot of lessons in patience, acceptance, complaining, and humility......oh and pretty good money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I don't but my husband does. He works 6pm to 6am Sun-Tues and every other Sat.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM
I do not anymore. I did for 6 years mostly as a floor nurse, and it was exhausting. My husband me just asked me the other day, "remember when we first started dating and you slept all the time, you seemed soooo depressed."

No honey, I was flipping exhausted!! Hang in there, I hope your resignation goes smoothly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Haha!! I get that a lot. "why do you sleep all day?" "jeeez, you've been asleep all day long!" "are you ever gonna wake up?" recently my husband figured it out and helps me get sleep. And protects me from phone calls and doorbells. But my mom will call at 11am and ask if I was sleeping. Come on people!!! Is it so hard to figure out that I'm not sleeping when rest of the world is? I've thought about calling her at 2am. "were you sleeping? I'm sorry. I'm at work and I just had a question....." haha

Quoting Marti123:

I do not anymore. I did for 6 years mostly as a floor nurse, and it was exhausting. My husband me just asked me the other day, "remember when we first started dating and you slept all the time, you seemed soooo depressed."

No honey, I was flipping exhausted!! Hang in there, I hope your resignation goes smoothly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM
I wish my schedule was that easy. I work tue, wed, then sat, sun, mon, then thur, fri, the tue wed, again. It gets so complicated making appointments or plans. And nobody can ever figure out when I'm working. And I give everyone a schedule for the whole year!! Lol

Tell me tho, does he change his sleep schedule on his days off? I do for the most part. Confuses the body real well and just makes you tired all the time. And messes with when you get hungry.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM

No he doesn't, he tried to years ago when he first started working nights but it messed him up too much. On his days off he tries to go to bed a little earlier in the morning so he can get up a little earlier in the afternoon. We try to make plans early/late afternoon so he can join us.

If he is off for vacation and we go away he will do his best to switch his sleeping schedule so he is up through the day and sleeps at night, but he's still zombie like, lol.

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

I wish my schedule was that easy. I work tue, wed, then sat, sun, mon, then thur, fri, the tue wed, again. It gets so complicated making appointments or plans. And nobody can ever figure out when I'm working. And I give everyone a schedule for the whole year!! Lol

Tell me tho, does he change his sleep schedule on his days off? I do for the most part. Confuses the body real well and just makes you tired all the time. And messes with when you get hungry.

Quoting mumsy2three:

jamberrypie
by Betty on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:35 PM

No, but my sister does.  She has a graveyard shift at the post office.  She wanted those late hour shifts so that she wouldn't have to put her kids in daycare.  Her kids are now 11 and 13 I think, and even though daycare is not an issue anymore, she still works the night shifts.  She's thinking about quitting though and finding another regular job during daytime hours because she's not spending enough quality time with her husband, and it's causing problems in their relationship.

3babiesofmyown
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Agreed. It's hard on a marriage. We have to devote extra kid free time to keeping our marriage intact.

Quoting jamberrypie:

No, but my sister does.  She has a graveyard shift at the post office.  She wanted those late hour shifts so that she wouldn't have to put her kids in daycare.  Her kids are now 11 and 13 I think, and even though daycare is not an issue anymore, she still works the night shifts.  She's thinking about quitting though and finding another regular job during daytime hours because she's not spending enough quality time with her husband, and it's causing problems in their relationship.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy404204
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I do work night shift my normal schedule is monday tuesday friday and every other saturday and sunday which gives me 32hrs a week but i usually pull extra hrs. I am currently a nurses aid and will be going to school for my lpn

mickstinator
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

My husband has had the opportunity (and still does), but we've never done it. I just think it would be too hard on us. Right now he works weekends and I work weekdays. It's hard enough only seeing each other in the evenings. I can't imagine throwing our schedules around that much.

Kudos to the familes that handle it. I imagine it's tough work. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

For one of my jobs I'm gone for 2 1/2 days. I hate being away from home but I work 40 hours in those two and a half days. If I didn't have another job it would be great because I'd be off 4 days a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN