Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Need some advice on career change

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm 25 and 34 weeks pregnant with my second and my oldest is 4. Since I was 17 I've worked in the restaurant business; it's really the only thing I know. I grew up in it too--my parents owned a restaurant. As much as I used to love it, it's gotten really old really quickly. I left my position as an area manager responsible for 9 restaurants in the beginning of the pregnancy to go to a very small company (only three restaurants) and essentially be a shift leader, so I would have less stress. It has been less stressful in a lot of ways. I'm not working 70-80 hrs a week anymore, just 45 now. I took a $30k a year pay cut, plus bonuses, to go to this company. I see my family more. I am able to supplement my daughter's schooling by homeschooling about 10 hours a week. I have a better job but I've come to terms with the fact that I absolutely hate the restuarant business. I've tried different positions, different companies, different types of dining and no matter what I'm not happy. I hate everything about it and dread going to work. I feel like I shouldn't have to give myself a pep talk to not just quit, or walk out, or not show up. I shouldn't count down until the shift is over every single day. I just want to be happy.

I will be going to school this spring to be a teacher. That's what I really want to do. Here's my question--I know I want to change careers. I don't care if I just get a job in the school system working in an office. I need to get out of this business and into something I feel would be more of what I want and could make me happy. Would you change jobs now, at 34 weeks pregnant, or stick it out for another week and then change when your maternity leave is up? 

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I would change when my maternity leaveis up and spoend my maternity leave searching for a new job.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM
I echo cjsmom's response.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

This.  Finding a new job at that late in your pregnancy could very much hurt you. They are not supposed to discriminate, but when your that pregnant, they don't really have to ask and you would never know.

I was laid off (company closed their doors) when I was 20 weeks pregnant. I was totally freaked out but not really showing...yet. I did a couple interviews and got a job offer.  By the time I started (after the drug test, etc) I was showing, so I had to fess up to it my first week. Luckily they were ok with it, but I'm not sure they would have been as ok if I was showing during the interview.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I would change when my maternity leaveis up and spoend my maternity leave searching for a new job.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I agree with the other ladies. Wait until after the baby arrives and look for another job then.

Abigail0210
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I would change when my maternity leave is up....

If you start a new job, you might get less maternity leave and with a new position you are on a probationary period...they can let you go without a reason....  Missing work for a long period of time within a few weeks of starting a job can really hurt you.

Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I'd stick it out until you come back from maternity leave.  That way if you can't put anything in place before then, at least you can have your job back.  It's easier to find work when you have work.  Have you thought about trying to get into the restaurant training business until you're ready to go into education?  Do you have any kind of degree?  If so, some school systems have provisional contracts where you can start working while you get your credits you need.  Also, you could look into aid positions in a school while you are doing your degree.  THe pay is not great, but you might enjoy it and get some classroom experience.

Trans
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Quoting cjsmom1:

Ditto

littlelamb303
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM

The job market out there is very tight, even people that have an education.  You need to keep your job for now.  If you do start looking and interviewing, do not mention you have a new baby, that WILL hurt you.  Employers are going to look to hire someone that does not have that kind of responsibility.  They do discriminate even though it is illegal to do so.  If you started a new job, you would not be able to call in sick, even if the baby was sick.  Make sure you have a reliable sitter if you do change jobs, that is really important.  good luck

TonyaLea
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I'd stick it out until you come back from maternity leave.  That way if you can't put anything in place before then, at least you can have your job back.  It's easier to find work when you have work.  Have you thought about trying to get into the restaurant training business until you're ready to go into education?  Do you have any kind of degree?  If so, some school systems have provisional contracts where you can start working while you get your credits you need.  Also, you could look into aid positions in a school while you are doing your degree.  THe pay is not great, but you might enjoy it and get some classroom experience.

Yep.  This.  It is only 6 weeks away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)