Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

how long could you last if you lost your job?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM
  • 64 Replies

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rissarin
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM
My sanity would be okay for the rest of the summer. Then I would need another job. Haha. Financially though, maybe a week or two. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM

If I got my Profit Sharing and DH got his, we could last about a year between the profit sharing, savings and whatever.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jul. 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I think we'd be okay for a while (couple months maybe) since dh now makes what we both used to make when he worked at his previous job

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 10:21 AM
I know we could make 3 months, maybe 4. Experts suggest being prepared for 6 months, I think we would be running up credit debt after 3-4 month time frame.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Not at all. I just opened a savings account but it will take a while before I'll have enough saved up for 6 months. I'm only putting away $80 a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly we would be fine if I lost my job, my husband makes the money. If my husband lost his job we'd be okay for a little while but wouldn't be able to make it for long on my salary alone.

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jul. 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Maybe 20 mins? Lol jk...Seriously, about two weeks right now. When bf is out of school, and starts working then we should actually be okay for me to stay at home with the kids...once we're married.

mickstinator
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

If you asked me last year at this time, a really long time. I could probably go to a very part time, poorly paid job and be fine. 

Since then, we've had many emergencies come up that exhausted a lot of our savings, so I would immediately be uncomfortable if I lost my job right now. I won't be happy until our savings account gets above a certain threshold again. 

If necessary, we could pretty easily last until the end of the year. My husband can pick up overtime to fill in the gap. It would suck, though.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Depends on what you mean. Savings wise we don't have anything because everything we have in invested in DH's business. However, we have enough credit available to last for probably a year. Not my ideal way to live, but thats the risk you take starting a business. If I lost my job today, I can also pretty much guarantee I would have another job within 2 months...at least that's whats happened the last 3 times the company doors have closed on me.

jessi2girls
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

If I lost my job, that would mean our family business went under... we'd be okay for up to 6 months, but following that, we'd start to really start hurting if we couldn't either start another business in that time, or find jobs by then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN