Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning!!! What's your best suggestion(s)?

Posted by   + Show Post

We have shared several posts about cleaning so tell me about your best suggestions one post at a time for organization, cleaning schedule, products to use....anything you want.  We all have busy schedules and I need to get back to one with my family.  I am in NEED of some good tips for kitchens and bathrooms especially but would also love to hear about organizations for backpacks, shoes, laundry, etc.

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I do my "spring cleaning" during the summer when I am off.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Microfiber dusting cloths rock~ Wet or dry they are amazing!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I vacuum my hard wood floors at least once a week.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I scrub the bathroom once a week then "spot clean" with Clorox wipes through the week, especially when I'm back to work.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Quoting mom2boys664:

I have a coat/bookbag/shoe station by the front door.  We put up two rows of coat hooks, one high, one low. Kids bookbags and coats on the lower, ours on the upper.  Big basket underneath for all kids shoes. I have this too.  The problems....they miss the shoe basket and they add too many things on to the hooks.  It's something that I have to remind them everyday.

Laundry - each person has a hamper, one person's clothes are washed, folded and put away at a time throughout the week, kindof on a rolling basis, but I would like to set a day for each person. I'm actually thinking about doing this.  My 9 year old is starting to do her own laundry so it would be nice for each of us to have a day to do our laundry.

Cleaning - I start with a list of tasks (ie clean master bathroom, vacumme bedroom 1), determine how often they need to be done and assign them a day(s) of the week, then put them on a chart so that each day when I get home I can see...Monday - Clean Master Bath, Dust Livingroom, etc. Now that I know that all the girls' soccer practices will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays, i can schedule cleaning for Mondays, Wednesdays and Sundays.  Fridays are usually my "day off" of cleaning and cooking after work and Saturdays are game days.  We have a small house so selecting the rooms shouldn't be too bad.

My problem is clutter - it's a never ending battle that leaves me exhausted.  If I could just clean, I would be fine, but the never ending stuff that accumulates dives me crazy.Clutter in my house is a problem too.  We just went through our girls' room yesterday and threw away about 3 garbage bag full of junk.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

I scrub the bathroom once a week then "spot clean" with Clorox wipes through the week, especially when I'm back to work.

One of the chores for the girls was to organize and wipe the bathroom counter.  I think putting clorox wipes in the bathroom specifically for this would be great.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I just made my own 'all purpose' cleaner (baking soda, vinegar, tiny bit of dish soap, warm water).  Works GREAT!  I was all out, and I needed to clean, so I finally decided to try making my own.  Love it!

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM

We have narrow bins attached to the wall by our entry.  The kids each have one with their name on it, and all of their school papers go in there.  Once a week, we go through and get rid of, file, send back whatever we need to.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Quoting the3Rs:

We have narrow bins attached to the wall by our entry.  The kids each have one with their name on it, and all of their school papers go in there.  Once a week, we go through and get rid of, file, send back whatever we need to.

Can you post a picture or something similar to what you are talking about?  This might be something I can add.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

It's nothing fancy...just clear bins.  I was thinking of covering them in fabric or something to personalize them this year - and make them a bit more decorative.

There's nothing in them right now since it's summer.

All 3 in the entry on the 1/2 wall...

Closeup...

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting the3Rs:

Can you post a picture or something similar to what you are talking about?  This might be something I can add.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)