Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Ask a....Special Education Teacher

Posted by   + Show Post

Its time for ask an expert. First up (by request) is Flutter523. She is a teacher of 6th grade who works with kids with emotional and behavioral issues that cannot function in a normal classroom. Feel free to ask any questions about the job and she is prepared to answer them.

teacher

If you missed the sign up and want to be a part of Ask an Expert, the sign up post is here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/47645/forums/read/16942641/Ask_an_Expert_Sign_Up

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Replies (51-58):
flutter523
by Tracy on Aug. 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM
My commute is about 20 minutes on a good day. I think it's 13 miles each way

Quoting Nighttiger:

How far do you work from home?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Aug. 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Not usually. I tend to not have the motivation to work at home. I feel like its taking time away from Logan when I bring stuff home so I avoid it if possible.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Do you ever end up taking work home?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Aug. 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM
My actual hours are 8-3. The kids are there at 8 and dismissal is done by 2:30. I get there by 7:40 most days to make sure I'm ready for them.

Quoting Nighttiger:

What hours do you normally work?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Aug. 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM
If I need to take any time off planed or emergency it's usually not a problem a long as its not constant. I also need to mak sure I have plans and activities for the kids to do. Just bc I'm not there doesn't mean the work stops. Most times it's more work to be out than it is to actually be there. I try to plan ahead for days off but I've had to email plan to coworkers in emergency situations.

Quoting Nighttiger:

How flexible is your job in regards to emergencies or time off?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

How do they handle teachers being out sick? Can the aides handle the class? Do they have special substitutes they bring in? Does another teacher at the school take on that class?

Quoting flutter523:

If I need to take any time off planed or emergency it's usually not a problem a long as its not constant. I also need to mak sure I have plans and activities for the kids to do. Just bc I'm not there doesn't mean the work stops. Most times it's more work to be out than it is to actually be there. I try to plan ahead for days off but I've had to email plan to coworkers in emergency situations.

Quoting Nighttiger:

flutter523
by Tracy on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM
We have a building sub and a few per diem subs that they call on. Sometimes the aides will be left with the class alone if there is no sub. Sometimes we combine low # classes and cover other classes. We are really flexible in my building. Do instance I have has only 1 student te last two weeks and I got pulled to cover another class yesterday and my student went with another teacher who only had 2 kids

Quoting Nighttiger:

How do they handle teachers being out sick? Can the aides handle the class? Do they have special substitutes they bring in? Does another teacher at the school take on that class?

Quoting flutter523:

Quoting Nighttiger:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TIPTONTNSAHM
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:14 AM

I want to start out by saying thank you for doing this. I have a 7th grader with ADHD. We are a military family so we are limited to two kinds of schools. We can send our kids to the DODDS school or homeschool. I'm not a teacher and wasn't a very good student in school myself. So both kids go to Dodds school. It's a pretty good school compared to the stateside schools. But, they don't address my sons emotional side. They have an IEP BUT, they didn't really consider my feelings. I asked them to let him see a someone at school about the kids not excepting him. They asked my son before at the begining of school and said no because my son said he wasn't physically being hit by any students. He says he has one friend at the school so they arent letting him see someone to talk to. They only get a therapist here once a year. Because the docter lives in Germany and they fly him here. They say they cant give him help afterschool because of the budget. But, my son is free to visit the office if a problem comes up. My son can be very shy at times. If the kids are mean to him at school and excluding him he just lets them. It's only at home that he is very bossy with his sister who is two yrs younger and she is a very caring person and easy going. How do I get my son to bridge a relationship with another student or make a new friend when no one here excepts him because they know he has ADHD. We tried to keep it a secret but, all of them know because of the IEP they came up with a plan that because of having a huge class they put a helper in the classroom to keep my son on target and help with any note taking. All the kids singled him out after that. My son isn't too nice to his lil sister. How do I get him to care and be a sharing brother like her. He seems to not care when I ask him to do his chores like take out the recycling. He stays on the computer after several times of me asking him. But, if I ask my daug. she jumps up and starts doing it on her day for recycling. UGH. Please help. Sorry it's so long. Thanks for your help.

flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM
First off, I'm sorry hes Being treated tht way. What country are you in? And do the schools follow the US rules and guidelines? I ask bc here it's illegal for anyone to share a students IEP with anyone not directly involved with the student. And as a parent you have every right to add things and want things on the IEP. You are your child's advocate and need to do what you feel is best.
I'm guessing he's not so nice to his sister bc it's one of the only places he feels control. He gets picked on at school and needs to have that power that is lost there placed somewhere else. (besides the fact that he's a 7th grade hormonal boy trying to find his way)
As far as making friends at school, maybe you can get him involved in something outside of school (sport, club, activity) to help him build hi confidence. This is a really tough age. Kids are trying to find who they are and where they belong.
Hopefully this helps. Feel free to pm me if you need anything.

Quoting TIPTONTNSAHM:

I want to start out by saying thank you for doing this. I have a 7th grader with ADHD. We are a military family so we are limited to two kinds of schools. We can send our kids to the DODDS school or homeschool. I'm not a teacher and wasn't a very good student in school myself. So both kids go to Dodds school. It's a pretty good school compared to the stateside schools. But, they don't address my sons emotional side. They have an IEP BUT, they didn't really consider my feelings. I asked them to let him see a someone at school about the kids not excepting him. They asked my son before at the begining of school and said no because my son said he wasn't physically being hit by any students. He says he has one friend at the school so they arent letting him see someone to talk to. They only get a therapist here once a year. Because the docter lives in Germany and they fly him here. They say they cant give him help afterschool because of the budget. But, my son is free to visit the office if a problem comes up. My son can be very shy at times. If the kids are mean to him at school and excluding him he just lets them. It's only at home that he is very bossy with his sister who is two yrs younger and she is a very caring person and easy going. How do I get my son to bridge a relationship with another student or make a new friend when no one here excepts him because they know he has ADHD. We tried to keep it a secret but, all of them know because of the IEP they came up with a plan that because of having a huge class they put a helper in the classroom to keep my son on target and help with any note taking. All the kids singled him out after that. My son isn't too nice to his lil sister. How do I get him to care and be a sharing brother like her. He seems to not care when I ask him to do his chores like take out the recycling. He stays on the computer after several times of me asking him. But, if I ask my daug. she jumps up and starts doing it on her day for recycling. UGH. Please help. Sorry it's so long. Thanks for your help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN