Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Pumping at work

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM
  • 60 Replies
I just had an extreamly uncomfortable conversation with my principal. This is his first year as a principal, and he's not too much older than I am. He's married, but no kids, so he was in unfamilar territory, I believe. My planning period is 4.5 hours into the school day, and H nurses/takes a bottle every three hours. After I mentioned that I was to be granted time as often as I needed by law, and shared Fact Sheet 73 with him, he said he would have to talk with the school board because he didn't see how he could make it work. He was very open to hearing me and nice about it (we were both a bit embarrassed, I think). I'm asking for two pump breaks, one earlier in the school day and one later. At my school, teachers have on 55 minute planning period.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any teachers who have navigated this before?
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lydlou02
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM
I'm gonna have to have this convo soon. Not as a teacher, but I need to ask where to pump in the warehouse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4healthyeats
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Not a teacher.  Heres a bump.

Lydlou02
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM
My sis is a sub, she has no issues pumping at work, I think she usually does it while tge kids are at specials.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see why it would be an issue since you are using planning time and not asking for additional time to pump.

I am not a teacher but I am an assistant in a special ed classroom. When I was pumping for my youngest I just pumped once during the school day, during my lunch break. We had a personal care assistant in our classroom a few years ago and she pumped twice a day. She just broke her break up into 15 min periods rather than taking a full 1/2 hour.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I am not a teacher and had a very easy time getting the time and space that I needed.  So I will bump you up!

rissarin
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
esrice
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM
I pump at lunch and while my class is at their special.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Hmmm can you have another teacher come into your class while you pump?

What grade do you teach?

Hapsand123
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Im confused. I was at home when I had mine, no work. But My question is, why pumping if your working. Your baby isnt with you are they. 

Just a question, I have no idea. lol. 

diamond8
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM

nope not a teacher.so no suggestions.. i didnt know there was laws about this!!.......but i know this from breast feeding... when you gata pump you gata pump!!. men..psshhh no boobs that turn to large engorged rock like objects on their chest...lol jk hope it all works out for ya!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)