Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Teacher Pumping at work

Posted by   + Show Post
I just had an extreamly uncomfortable conversation with my principal. This is his first year as a principal, and he's not too much older than I am. He's married, but no kids, so he was in unfamilar territory, I believe. My planning period is 4.5 hours into the school day, and H nurses/takes a bottle every three hours. After I mentioned that I was to be granted time as often as I needed by law, and shared Fact Sheet 73 with him, he said he would have to talk with the school board because he didn't see how he could make it work. He was very open to hearing me and nice about it (we were both a bit embarrassed, I think). I'm asking for two pump breaks, one earlier in the school day and one later. At my school, teachers have on 55 minute planning period.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any teachers who have navigated this before?
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
Razzle_Dazzle1
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I am a kindergarten teacher and I am nursing. I have a planning period and I pump while the kids are in lunch (My TA keeps an eye on them) and while they are at their elective classes (art, PE, ect.). My principle is married and has three children and a grandchild and he is very understanding about matters of the children. He even told me, when I adopted my youngest daughter, that I could have time off when I didn't even think to ask. However, with my first child, and working in daycare, my boss had no problem letting me pump at work and he had no children. I don't think it is as much to do with having kids as it is just understanding the situation. Some people that have kids are not very understanding of other people's kids.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Precious333
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Hapsand123:

Im confused. I was at home when I had mine, no work. But My question is, why pumping if your working. Your baby isnt with you are they. 

Just a question, I have no idea. lol. 

there are many reasons why a breastfeeding mom would need to pump at work.

one is because is because breastfeeding works with supply on demand. If there is no demand there the milk supply will decrease. So while mommy is gone from baby and cannot nurse during that time she will need to pump to make sure that her supply is efficent for her baby.

second if because when you are gone for a long period of time you will become engorged. Engorgment is when your breasts become as hard as a rock filled with milk. It is very uncomfortable, will cause leaking, a clogged milk ducts and mastitis (infection).

Third is because it will helpe build a milk stash for baby while mommy is gone from baby.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
raegan1221
by Raegan on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Our nurses are able to pump here. I've never had this issue..because I haven't been pregnant in this office plus I didn't breast feed. But I believe that most places are required to let women do that. I know of a few nurses here who we'll go looking for and sure enough they're pumping lol.

lelide
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Hmm...still looking for a good solution. I need two pump breaks, since H takes two bottles while I am away. Right now, only one!
kryjen
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM
A friend of mine pumps during her recess, lunch, and specials times. Her principal set it up so her kids went to a different room for snack just before recess and then she pumped while they were gone. Ds wouldn't nurse and I only pumped like 3 times a day with him, so I just pumped in my room during lunch. I'm not sure how I'll work it after my latest lo is born. I'll have to see how he/she is about nursing first. My supply will likely dictate how things go. I only have specials two days a week though so I'm sure I'll have to use lunch daily and then probably work something out with my principal where she can come in and relieve me on the days I don't have preps to help out. We will have to see. Try to post this in the teacher mommy groups, too, if you haven't already.
niqua20
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

im a teachers aid & fortunately everyone was very understanding that i needed to pump. i was allowed to pump whenever i needed to. However my principal was a mom who used to nurse also. i would just suggest looking into seeing if someone can monitor your class while u take a break

JZB
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM

what grade

Emilytrademark
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, he is not reacting the way he should. There should be no need to bring up your personal situation to the school board. At my prior job, I had a few problems with the pumping situation, nothing too serious, and my current job has been extremely supportive.  You are allowed at least two 15-20 minute breaks by law. I'm not sure what advice to give since you have already informed him... :(

flowersmama
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

so far i think your best option is to have someone cover for a few minutes while you pump. maybe the teacher next door or down the hall who is in their planning period?

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Congratulations on your baby!! Your request definitely should be respected, but maybe you are a little too vague.

Given the fact that you know assistants, the class size,  your schedules including your planning session & break times, other schedules, what would be your ideal solution? Flip the tables if you were the principal, and had to staff the school, what would you do? THEN suggest that to your superior.

What times do you want to pump, what will be going on in your classroom at that time?

I am not a teacher, but I told *edit* really suggested to my employer my action plan and when I would be pumping and how I would make it work, and their role in assisting me. Keep us posted.

Quoting lelide:

Hmm...still looking for a good solution. I need two pump breaks, since H takes two bottles while I am away. Right now, only one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)