Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've been so behind at work that even though I felt like death I showed up every day this week.  It was just a cold, but it hit me pretty hard.  I've got plenty of tissues and sanitizer and I tried to confine the germs to my cube as much as possible.  I still feel a little guilty because I can hear sniffles from a few people around the office.  If I'd have had a fever, I'd have stayed home.

How do you determine when you're sick enough to stay home? Do the kids still go to daycare (or wherever they usually go when you're at work)? 

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
strongerwtime
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM

If I have a cough, nose running, and body is exhausted..I stay home to get rest and take meds all day.  Then I just suck it up and go into the office.  I do recall a time a weird bug was going around and I was out at least 2 days.....but no longer than that.

strongerwtime
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I have asked my mom and sister to keep my kids when I wasnt well...or at least for part of the day.  Most times, I give my mom (sitter m om lol) a break and stay home sick WITH kids...ugh!...So all the more reason to just go to work sick :(..otherwise whats the point...you dotn get rest when kids are home bottom line. 

flutter523
by Tracy on Aug. 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM
2 moms liked this
If I'm puking or feverish or in the bathroom often I stay home. If it a daycare day I send DS in. I pay no matter what and he likes it. Then I can recover and sleep all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Depends how sick... Fever or vomiting yes... Short of that, I usually go unless I really feel like death... :)

When my ds1 was very little, I kept him home with me, but that was when he was a nursling and happy to just cuddle and nurse all day.

At this point, if I am so such I need to stay home (very rare) I am not able to care for others. Both kids are now in educational settings though, so them staying home if I am sick is a non- issue.
heyma4
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Unless I am running a high fever, or can't keep anything down, I go in. I keep a bottle of sanitizer hand and work through they yuckiness. I've missed one day of work due to being ill, in my entire working life. The only reason I didn't go in was because I could not move, but that wasn't due to a cold or anything that someone could catch.

4healthyeats
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

If I need to be close to a bathroom, I stay home.  if it doesn't require frequent bathrooms, but miserable otherwise all depends on how much time I have built up.  right now my time goes to all dr appts, and sick days for the kids.  They were brutal this year besides getting sick once every 2-3 wks since January, combined they have needed to see ENT, neorologist, and allergist. My leave is spent.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM
I have to be hospitilized or confined to a bathroom, about the only way I would ever call in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

It's been very rough for me this year with allergies and wanting to take time off.  The only time I don't go in is when I have had little to no sleep the night before.  Other wise I will be in the office coughing, sneezing, snot running down my nose and everything else.  I really hate to miss work because I always wonder what they say behind my back.  Like is she really sick, or is she playing hookie.  I don't like that stuff.  I like to show that I am a good, trust worthy, respectable, dependable employee. 

chanizen
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM
I go to work unless my kids are sick or I'm 2 steps Away from the hospital. My sick days are really "dd is sick days"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM
I work from home if I'm not fall down sick but don't feel well enough to go in. If I'm working, it doesn't count as a sick day. My kids are older so yes they go to scoop if I'm sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)