Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I've been so behind at work that even though I felt like death I showed up every day this week.  It was just a cold, but it hit me pretty hard.  I've got plenty of tissues and sanitizer and I tried to confine the germs to my cube as much as possible.  I still feel a little guilty because I can hear sniffles from a few people around the office.  If I'd have had a fever, I'd have stayed home.

How do you determine when you're sick enough to stay home? Do the kids still go to daycare (or wherever they usually go when you're at work)? 

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Replies (51-58):
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM
What kind of work do you do? Is falling behind in your work not an issue?

Quoting M4LG5:

I have to say that I'm pretty surprised at how many people power through. If I'm not feeling right and feel a good day off will help, I will. I get plenty of sick time.....why not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM
I'm a college advisor. I run a program by myself. It's very important that I'm there. If I'm not there.....no one else does my job, so it doesn't get done. My students need me there. At the same time, I strive for work-life balance. The university encourages it as well. I will take off work for my kids' field trips or for a mental health day. I feel that I'm best when I'm at my best and if one day off helps that.....I will do it. If I don't....I tend to be at 50% for several days.

Quoting Babujai:

What kind of work do you do? Is falling behind in your work not an issue?

Quoting M4LG5:

I have to say that I'm pretty surprised at how many people power through. If I'm not feeling right and feel a good day off will help, I will. I get plenty of sick time.....why not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmiJanell
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Well it would depend.... like with colds, I might still have symptoms like a cough... then I will go... but if I don't feel well then I stay home...

Same with my son... I will send him to daycare with a cough if he's acting normally... his coughs can last weeks after the illness

seamonkey419
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I don't really have the option of calling off work if I'm sick. I'd have to be dead to not have to go to work. 

JamminOutMama
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Haha yeah
jamberrypie
by Betty on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on the company culture where I am at.  At my last job, if you called in sick, you got a whole demerit point.  So, as a result, even very sick people were forced to come in to work.  It was terrible.  At one point in time, it seemed like everyone around me was sick, and of course, I got sick too.  At the current place I am at, I don't think they would care if anyone called in sick.  We would just have to take a PTO day off for it.  So, I would have to be feeling prety bad not to come in because I would not want to use up all of my PTO time for sicknesses.

JeanPatrick
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM
I went when I had the full blown flu but they sent me home. Nthey rather deal with the extra work then get sick.
aggiemom99
by Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I usually go to work sick, unless I feel terrible.  I'm still building up my sick time after starting a new job in April.  If I stay home sick, my husband still takes our daughter to daycare.  She loves going to school, anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN