Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

At my job we all work in cubicles.  Management likes to shake things up fairly regularly and have everyone move to a new cubicle for a variety of reasons (re-organization, lots of new employees, to break of cliques).

So we just had a major move and I've got a new cube neighbor.  He drinks very strong, dark roast coffee all morning, which I can't stand the smell of.  On the other hand, he's a major foodie, as am I, and we have great conversations about food and trade recipes, which is awesome.

How's you're work set-up? Have any great or horrible "neighbors"?  What's your ideal work environment?

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
hip2it
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was working my cubicle neighbor was a really nice guy.  I liked him.... but he was annoying too.  He'd spend hours a day calling everybody he knew to tell them about his 9 year old's latest accomplishments, so I got to hear the same story over and over and over, then he'd call his wife and go on and on and on about how much he loved her, then he'd have some chick from a few cubicles over come around and they'd sit there and cut up and make dinner plans and such.  It was annoying.

Oh, and I loved when his wife sent in tuna or salmon patties or something.  I was pg at the time and finally had to ask him to eat somewhere far far away.  Thankfully, he understood, apologized, and didn't bring that smelly stuff around anymore when I was pregnant!

a-SiZZLe
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I work in a car dealership as a saleswoman. We have desks not cubicles. We all fight yet help each other at the same time. The car sales world is a weird one, but everyone is unique and fun in their own way.

kikibix
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I just started back to work.  The job itself is fine but I hate the way the office is organized and where I am sitting.  I have a cubicle right in front of the bosses offices.  I feel so excluded from my co-workers who work in an open space a bit further down.  I can hear them talking and having fun sometimes but yet can't fully hear what's going on.  It's not like I can just get up and stand around listening to them talk when I have the big bosses looking out their office doors at me anytime they want.  I feel I miss out on the fun and the important office gossip.  It bugs me that I work all day at my desk actually working and they talk, text friends, take longer lunches and wander around and yet complain about how much work they have and stay late to finish.  They probably look like they are such good dedicated workers yet they've been goofing off throughout the day. I really hope management sees the truth, but I dont' think they do. Mostly I just feel lonely in my cubicle all day long.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

At the hospital we all come and go at the desk, I'm normally at the desk but it's my job to be at the desk (I'm a unit clerk).

darbyakeep45
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Well, I work part time at an office, and I share the office with my boss...not too bad as he's a nice guy!  I work at home as well, so no complaints there!

grnsmomma
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

My coworker always talks about how she is so poor and never has any money even though she is on food stamps.  She goes out and gets fast food every single day for lunch AND she told us that she has someone clean her house!  Yeah, welfare at it's finest.  She is lazy and a slob and does not care about her job, she'd be better off quitting so she can go back to the higher amounts of food stamps ugh.  My boss does nothing about it so we are about to go over her head to her boss and get something done.  It's not fair that I have to do twice the work while she does nothing but surf the internet and read magazines while our customers wait.

TanyaJL
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM
I have a cube and like most of my neighbors. But the guy right in front of me is annoying...he thinks EVERYTHING he says is funny and he constantly looks around for reaction/acceptance. And the guy in front of him is an old perv. I cant stand either of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM
I'm in a cubicle but the neighbor desk is vacant so it's like a big giant cubicle all for me which I love.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiki_c
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM
I don't work now but when I did my boss was in a cubicle right next to me it was the best. Really everyone in my department was fun except one *itch.. Then the Co changed our dept around and I ended up working for the *itch and ended up leaving.. But I do miss my old boss we had a ton of fun working together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I have my own office and keep my door shut all day...lol.  I am very easily distracted and can't get work done if everyone that walks by my door talks to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)