Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Poll

Question: **See Post** What would you rather have as a holiday party "bonus"

Options:

An actual party with hockey tickets or dinner theater

In house party during lunch with $40 cash bonus

In house party with random gift so you can open it

Other (please detail) -- we have $3k to throw a party for 30 associates

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

So, every year we have a holiday party at work. We always do secret Santa and have a half potluck (company buys main dish). The first year I was there to attend (first actual year I went into labor and missed it), management gave out gifts to everyone. They were ok gifts like griddles, heated blankets, vaults, fryers, etc. They ranged from $25-$50 per item, but they were random items. The would chose your name and you would get to open the next gift. Last year we did a company party at the hockey game and no management gifts. We've gotten flak all around. So, here's the question: As a year end celebration, would you want a nice party with your spouse to something like the dinner theater, or a pro sport game, would you want random gifts or would you just want $40 cash across the board?

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Replies (21-29):
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM
We have a lunch with the afternoon off. I would like to see us do something family oriented but my coworkers are lame and wouldnt come. Bonuses are a joke in my world and it wasnt going to be 100 bucks just save the money and give me 3 hours to clean or Christmas shop!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I picked a party during lunch and $40, I feel like a lot of people could use the money. I think people should be happy no matter what but that's just my opinion. I have worked for several companies that did nothing for the holidays, so somehting is better then nothing.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I think getting tickets to something would be hard because a lot of people may not like the event or they may not be able to attend.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:34 AM

We would love to go to our vendors for perks (we are manufacturing as well), but we are corporate owned (corporate is in a different state), so we are not allowed to take anything from the vendors as far as gifts. We aren't even allowed to go to lunch with them. Its a great idea though :)

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I don't know where you live or what the prices are around there, but we are on a similar budget with 35 employees. We have dinner for employees and a guest (spouse, boyfriend) at the country club, followed by a dance. Either band or dj. We are in manufacturing and ask some of our major vendors (those we spend big dollars with throughout the year) to donate door prizes. Those range from target gift cards to pocket knives to tv's. No cash bonus. Personally I like the part about having it away from work and getting to bring spouses.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM

We always try to give at least a month notice before the event. Last year for the holiday party we gave 2 months notice, and this year for the summer event they had 3 months notice. It can still conflict with family birthdays or other events though. Last year those that complained about the hockey game just didn't like hockey, so they chose not to come and then complained they were excluded from the "bonus" at the end of the year.

Quoting Barabell:

To be honest, I would be grateful for any of those. I've had past employers do some of those selections, and I enjoyed them all. My current employer does nothing.

Bonuses are bonuses.... I don't get why anyone would complain about any of the options. I can see giving suggestions for the future so the management knows their wish, but I find it sad that people were complaining about the hockey game before. To be honest, I prefer a night out over the other things. But it is nice to at least have a "reserve this date" far in advance for those with busy schedules. If it's short notice, I could see why some would be frustrated and complain about that.

4healthyeats
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

sometimes notice doesn't matter.  I cringe at anything involving a spouse and outside of work hours (aka daycare hours) for a couple of reasons.  One he works 2 out of 4 weekends and we need as much after hours time that we can get just to get stuff done in order to be at work.  And two because DH works crazy shifts and can be called in at anytime, we could have to cancel last minute anyway.  I would feel awful cancelling, so I just decline because it saves us sooooo much stress and worry about wasting someone elses money.

Our office has done an inhouse lunch party were we bring food in and play some silly games including a modified white elephant game.  Last year we did a lunch buffet at a restuarant instead of the potluck. We played different silly games and had a couple of prizes.

Quoting Nighttiger:

We always try to give at least a month notice before the event. Last year for the holiday party we gave 2 months notice, and this year for the summer event they had 3 months notice. It can still conflict with family birthdays or other events though. Last year those that complained about the hockey game just didn't like hockey, so they chose not to come and then complained they were excluded from the "bonus" at the end of the year.

Quoting Barabell:

To be honest, I would be grateful for any of those. I've had past employers do some of those selections, and I enjoyed them all. My current employer does nothing.

Bonuses are bonuses.... I don't get why anyone would complain about any of the options. I can see giving suggestions for the future so the management knows their wish, but I find it sad that people were complaining about the hockey game before. To be honest, I prefer a night out over the other things. But it is nice to at least have a "reserve this date" far in advance for those with busy schedules. If it's short notice, I could see why some would be frustrated and complain about that.

Barabell
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM

One of my previous employers did an employee-only (no spouse, no kids) at a race track during the middle of a work day. They provided a nice dinner, alcoholic drinks, and about $20 for everyone to bet at the horse races.

It's the only time I've ever been to the race tracks, but it was one of the best non-after-hour holiday party I had ever been to.

Quoting 4healthyeats:

sometimes notice doesn't matter.  I cringe at anything involving a spouse and outside of work hours (aka daycare hours) for a couple of reasons.  One he works 2 out of 4 weekends and we need as much after hours time that we can get just to get stuff done in order to be at work.  And two because DH works crazy shifts and can be called in at anytime, we could have to cancel last minute anyway.  I would feel awful cancelling, so I just decline because it saves us sooooo much stress and worry about wasting someone elses money.

Our office has done an inhouse lunch party were we bring food in and play some silly games including a modified white elephant game.  Last year we did a lunch buffet at a restuarant instead of the potluck. We played different silly games and had a couple of prizes.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Quoting Barabell:

Barabell
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

See, I think those people were being ungrateful still. Even if I'm not huge on the theme of the event, I will still go to enjoy the bonus and the company of my co-workers. I don't really care for baseball, but I still went to a family picnic at a Diamondback's game because my employer was hosting it.

My point of view is that they chose to exclude themselves and then complain about it.

Again, a bonus is a bonus, and I get annoyed when people act like it's something they should be entitled to. I've had some jobs with no bonuses (like my current one) and some with tons of perks. Either way, I never felt entitle to a bonus and have always been annoyed with coworkers that have bitched about what they did receive as a bonus.

Quoting Nighttiger:

Quoting Barabell:

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

My company has a catalogue that we can pick gifts from every Christmas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)