Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Calvin and Hobbes

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 10 Replies

What do you think of this strip? As the wife of a person told he needs to be medicated for the rest of his life, I find it interesting. 

Michaela
Wife to Mike
Mommy to Mitchell and Brody

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I find that kind of sad.  The pills took away his imagination and made him a working machine.  Kids should have imagination!

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I agree that it's sad. A kids should always have imaginary friends!

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:39 AM
It's sad. I think medicating kids should be a last resort.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Quoting cjsmom1:

Ever since I started working with former foster youth, I am much more aware of topics concerning foster children.  In an 20/20 or Dateline (or one of those type of shows) they were talking about foster children and medication.  There are doctors that won't even see them and will prescribe them tons of medication.  Instead of helping them through the trauma they've experienced, they are put on drugs and then when they leave foster care they don't have that access to drugs so now dealing with it is hard.  I have a few students that are dealing with what happened to them and still trying to go to school.  It's unbelievable how much medication children, in general, get just to make it easier on adults.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM
It's terrible. So many people want to medicate kids so they don't have to "deal with them". I work in a pharmacy and it's disgusting to pull a bag of ten meds for five year old.

I'm pretty sure ds had add but I absolutely will not medicate.

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting cjsmom1:

Ever since I started working with former foster youth, I am much more aware of topics concerning foster children.  In an 20/20 or Dateline (or one of those type of shows) they were talking about foster children and medication.  There are doctors that won't even see them and will prescribe them tons of medication.  Instead of helping them through the trauma they've experienced, they are put on drugs and then when they leave foster care they don't have that access to drugs so now dealing with it is hard.  I have a few students that are dealing with what happened to them and still trying to go to school.  It's unbelievable how much medication children, in general, get just to make it easier on adults.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I am definitely not against medication. There are people who follow the norm. There are people who have harder struggles, but can cope. There are people who really do need medication. 

I don't believe nearly as many people (especially children) need all that medication. We don't expect every single person to fit into a box. Why try to medicate them so they can? Quirks are what make us unique - our struggles, our differences, our individuality is what helps us grow and teach and learn. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Very well said

Quoting mickstinator:

I am definitely not against medication. There are people who follow the norm. There are people who have harder struggles, but can cope. There are people who really do need medication. 

I don't believe nearly as many people (especially children) need all that medication. We don't expect every single person to fit into a box. Why try to medicate them so they can? Quirks are what make us unique - our struggles, our differences, our individuality is what helps us grow and teach and learn. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM
My children have adhd and are medicated. It does NOT make them like that. It helps them focus in what they are doing. I hate when people think badly about kids taking meds. Yes some are given it that dont need it but some arent. Dont believe me come spend a day with my kids without their meds and you will understand. My 6 yr old is happier when he is on the medicine because he says his brain isnt so noisy. He actually was almost put in a special needs classroom before he started meds . Ds1 thought that he didnt need it last year so one day i didnt give it to him and he had a horrible day at school and asked for it the next day. So until you are in someone elses shoes dont judge them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

My children have adhd and are medicated. It does NOT make them like that. It helps them focus in what they are doing. I hate when people think badly about kids taking meds. Yes some are given it that dont need it but some arent. Dont believe me come spend a day with my kids without their meds and you will understand. My 6 yr old is happier when he is on the medicine because he says his brain isnt so noisy. He actually was almost put in a special needs classroom before he started meds . Ds1 thought that he didnt need it last year so one day i didnt give it to him and he had a horrible day at school and asked for it the next day. So until you are in someone elses shoes dont judge them

This is my point - some people/kids need it. It's very true. However, so many doctors resort to meds first, before trying a change in diet, before trying different communication techniques, and before attempting to understand the differences. Parents, desperate for a way to help their children, trust the doctor without realizing other methods available. 

That does not at all mean that I (I would speak for others, but I don't feel at leisure to do so) think I know everyone's situation. I can only speak from my own personal experience as well.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

This is my point - some people/kids need it. It's very true. However, so many doctors resort to meds first, before trying a change in diet, before trying different communication techniques, and before attempting to understand the differences. Parents, desperate for a way to help their children, trust the doctor without realizing other methods available. 

That does not at all mean that I (I would speak for others, but I don't feel at leisure to do so) think I know everyone's situation. I can only speak from my own personal experience as well.

For me, it's not so much when kids need it.  I get reasons why kids do need it but when I see a normal active child but the parents cannot be patient enough or understand the natural activity level of a young child and cannot deal with it.....so, they believe the child needs to be medicated.  REally? 

Look on the thousands of posts on CM that their first responses are..."maybe the child needs medication".

Awhile ago I remember reading an article about a school in a very wealthy neighborhood.  It was documented that something like 75% of the kids were on medication for ADD.  Really? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN