Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Paid work vs. unpaid work

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM
  • 11 Replies

How many hours do we put in as "unpaid workers", doing things for others because we care about (and for) them?  Our kids, in-laws, spouses, parents, etc.

I put in an 8 hour day of paid work, but with commute and lunch, I end up putting in another hour unpaid, but not FOR anyone. 

When I get home, I get to cook for, clean up after, bathe, and get my daughter ready for bed.  that is about 2 hours of unpaid "Steph work".  Part of it is for DH, too, but since I do it for her, I will put it on her account.  I then get to pick up the house, and do unpaid work for myself (schoolwork).

As for DH, I do some of his laundry, pick up after him now and then, and make his meals, but I would say no more than 3 hours a week. 

At times in the past, I have helped his parents due to various health issues, also unpaid, but never unappreciated. 

As women, we sure put in a lot of "unpaid" hours!

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I was actually thinking about this last night. Between my husband, kids, family, and job, I can easily run out of time for me. This year, I made a point to start doing activities I enjoy for me and not because I can kill two birds with one stone by pleasing someone else. I have been so much happier. 

That being said, I easily get less than an hour a day to myself. Work days are worse because I have a 2 hour commute on top of a 9 hour day at work.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I have decided that when I have a day of vacation built up again, I will take that day and make a "ME" day.  Take Steph to daycare and do what I want to do.  Mani/Pedi, massage, whatever.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

It's amazing when you stop and think about it. I'd love a me day but I'd be happy with an hour at the gym lol

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I don't break it out like that, but yeah.  We all work all the time :)

I will admit that I was burning out big time and I started taking some evenings to myself.  DH always cooks anyway, and sometimes he brings me dinner to eat in peace in my room while watching whatever TV show I want.  Other times I take a bath and he's in charge of getting the kids to bed.

Those are ways that I make sure to "do for me".  I would like to take up a hobby - but probably won't.

Honestly, I think my DH needs to take more of those "me" moments and let me help him out, but he has no interest in it.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Great idea to take a "me" vacation day!  However, I have never understood anyone wanting a mani/pedi or massage.  I HATE those things!  LOL  Guess I'm just not 'woman' enough :)

Quoting deccaf:

I have decided that when I have a day of vacation built up again, I will take that day and make a "ME" day.  Take Steph to daycare and do what I want to do.  Mani/Pedi, massage, whatever.

twiggee
by Lisa on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I don't even want to add it up I do alot for my parents plus my house seems like i never have a minute to myself :(

CrazedMomof2
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I make time for myself. Even if I have to get up a 4am to run alone I do that for me!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I love having fake nails (acrylic), and haven't had them since I was trying to get pregnant.  I have had a massage and loved it.  The pedicure is okay, I wouldn't go just to do that, but I may treat myself to the whole shebang spa day!

Quoting the3Rs:

Great idea to take a "me" vacation day!  However, I have never understood anyone wanting a mani/pedi or massage.  I HATE those things!  LOL  Guess I'm just not 'woman' enough :)

Quoting deccaf:

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

For work, I put in 8 hours on the clock plus 1/2 hour lunch and 2 hours in commute time. So, every weekday I give 10.5 hours minimum to my job. I put in at least 4 hours a day caring for DS (two hours in the morning and two hours after work), and then another hour minimum working with DH on his business. That is all unpaid (so far :). The rest is split between working on my business (which I am in profit on so I get paid for that) and getting chores done. We spend almost 0 time off the clock.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I would LOVE to do that, but DH works from home, so he is fully aware of days I have off and always wants help with his business. Then he wonders why I'm reluctant to use my days off :P

Quoting deccaf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN