Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Names

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM
  • 27 Replies

Do you have a popular or unique name?  Does your child have the same (popular/unique) or opposite? 

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM

My name is unique.  "Decca" 

I chose to give my daughter a traditional name, but it's not all over the place, either.  "Stephanie"

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Me....not really popular nor unique (except there is no 'e'): Valeri

DD1 - Pretty unique:  Annelise

DD2 - Common (though I didn't know it): Mia

DD3 - Common (though the spelling and that we tend to say it in spanish so it becomes unique):  Micaela

mickstinator
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:29 PM

My name was never populare growing up. Never met another kid with it and no one knew how to pronounce it. Now variant spellings are pretty popular, but my spelling is still relatively unheard of. Just today someone completely butchered the pronunciation in a way I've heard my entire life. My name is Michaela (I get Michael-a or Michelle-a most often).

My kids have well-known, but not terribly popular names. I didn't want them getting mispronounced on the first day of school every year. 

Mitchell 

Brody

flutter523
by Tracy on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM
My name is Tracy and its not really unique or popular IMO.
DS is Logan. Not the most popular but sadly climbing. I wanted a name that was unique enough so he wouldnt be a number is school (mike 1, mike 2) but not to out there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM

My name is Leah, which I think is more common now than it was when I was growing up.

My daughter's name is Baylie, which is unique in how I spelled it, but there are a lot more Bailey's running around than I thought when I named her lol

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I have a fairly common name, I suppose.  My name is Shannon.  In my school alone (graduating class of 76 - school 9-12 about 300) we had:

• Me
  • Shannon B.
  • Shannon R.
  • Shannon K.
  • Shannon J.
  • Channon G.

I don't think my mom realized it would be quite so popular in our little neck of the woods, LOL.  She just loved "Sh" names - we have SEVEN "Sh" names in our family (Shirley, Shirlene, Sherryl, Shawn, Shane, Shannon, Sharlin)

My son's names are quite popular - but we didn't pick them because of that.  We had other criteria for picking names and we just plain liked them.  However, we don't shorten them - and they are names that are almost always shortened.

Joshua - has three in his class (but the other two are called J.P. and Josh)

Michael - has two in his class (other is called Mike)

Samuel - has one in his class (other is called Sam)

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM

My name, Melissa, was #5 most popular according to SSA the year I was born.

Ds's name, Jackson is #25 for 2010.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM
My name is Gail which isn't unique or really common.
Ds's name is unique it's Cherrod (sha-rod). He's a junior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rissarin
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM
My name is pretty uncommon - Larissa. Everyone always spells it Lorissa or Larrisa. So I don't know if those are more common or if people just don't know it at all. Haha.

My daughter is Alannah. Ah-lawn-ah. Not ALAINa. I'd never heard of it before I had her, and now I see it pretty often, eventhough it's not "popular" per say, yet. Hubby and I each had a friend that had an Alannah (different spellings) within the year after ours was born. Silly. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdymom28
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I think my name is somewhere in the middle of the popularity scale: my name is Whitney.

My daughter's names are Faith and Willow...they are the only girls with those names where I live. I'm not sure where they lie on a national scale.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN