Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms
I have a 6 year old son and I work full time. My mom also lives with my son and I . I have dated this man for 9 months and the longer we date, the more he stays at my house. My mom used to be the caretaker for my son while I work and my mom's health started to get worse and now since school started , I have to take my mom's health into consideration. My boyfriend's hours ( where he lives got cut from 40 hours to 12 ) is now looking for employment where I live however he has been a huge support so far with school andmy son. He wakes up with me, helps me in the morning and then puts him on the bus. During the day, my BF does laundry and yard work until he gets my son off the bus at 3 and then is with him until I get home which takes a lot of stress off my mom.

My boyfriend feels odd because he feels it's his responsibility to work and how I look down on him for not working and he doesn't want me to feel he is free loading on me. I explained how much support he is giving me and my mother by his help but he can't accept it.

I love the fact he is around to help and he does offer a lot of support to me and my family , how can I convince he is doing more for me than he thinks ?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Replies (11-13):
eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Brenda341son:

I think my boyfriend has a hard time visioning a SAHD

This just took another direction by you saying this......it's one thing if you are trying to convince him to be a SAHD because it's easier for you and it's another thing for him to consider being a SAHD himself.  I can't even envision being a SAHM for myself and I would NOT want my husband to encourage me (and somewhat push me) into that route.  You should probably have a conversation about what he thinks about SAHDs. 

If you are doing this because it's easier for YOU....i think that is being a little selfish.  I'm not trying to bash but if you want me to be honest, this is what I think.  As a single mom, it's still your job to find accommodations for your son and organize the house but if he is willing to help now and then....it's a bonus.  I went into my relationship with my now husband having a child already.  Even after we moved in together, I still took sole responsibility of the daycare and upbringing of my daughter for a long time.  Gradually he felt comfortable taking over responsibilities (it was never pushed for him to do it) especially since her father was not around and still has not been around.  My daughter was 2.5 at the time.  She is now 9 years old and though he IS her father, he still leaves a lot of the decision up to me.

This but with my son.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM

lots and lots of reassurance!

sassymomntx1961
by Yvonne on Sep. 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Just hug him and let him know how much stress has taken off your lap.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN