Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Is your workplace mom-friendly?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM
  • 118 Replies

I wanted to share that I used to work at a place with a lot of women in their mid-40's who were either unmarried with no kids divorced and childless.  (Come to think of it most of the men there were older and didn't have kids either.)  The organization wasn't openly anti-mom, but after getting pregnant, I realized that it subtly was because it was so hard for any of those women to relate to me as a newly pregnant woman.  After my daughter was born, one of my colleagues even suggested that she could relate to my labor because she had once had a very painful kidney stone that she "delivered."  Yup, you heard that right.  She compared the birth of my baby to a kidney stone!!!

I no longer work there (for other reasons as well), and I'm now working at a much better place. 

How about everyone else?  Is your place of employment mom-friendly or just clueless?

I look forward to hearing everyone's experiences!

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eve11427
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:13 AM
My place is
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:11 AM

not really--they griped when I was splitting my break so that i could pump twice while I was at work, they wrote me up when i took time off because my daughter was having a hard time adjusting to pre-school, they griped when I took a week off due to a miscarriage, etc.

emilyrosenj
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 4:08 AM
We are very mom friendly. It helps that I can work from anywhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I work at a daycare/preschool and I have noticed that it is mom friendly to a point.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Yes, it is very mom friendly.  I telecommute so I'm home for my kids as needed, and they allow us to have very flexible schedules and to leave (a.k.a. log off) at a moment's notice if needed for our families (like I did last Friday when my son hurt himself).

sallymoon
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My work place is getting better, but I've had a hard time in the past.  I work in a warehouse, and with my first 2 pregnancies, they did not want to accommodate my restrictions.  First pregnancy, they kept pushing me to go on disability leave and forced me on leave when my doctor wanted me to take an extra break.  Second pregnancy, they forced me on disability immediately and claimed that they should not have accommodated at all with my first pregnancy.  3rd pregnancy, they had a new HR manager who actually wanted to be more accommodating with pregnancy, but I was so high risk at that point that I just couldn't work.  They have been allowing less high risk mommies-to-be to have light duty, though.  It seems they've been better about giving breastfeeding mothers time to pump, too.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM
The hospital is pretty accommodating. They allow breaks for pumping, some buildings have a special room for pumping, most of the staff work together to make sure the pregnant person isn't doing too much or in a dangerous situation.
my job with adults with disabilities isn't really accommodating. I know one client threatened to stab their pregnant staff. And because it 1:1 and restraint free there's not much you can do. Plus it's live in 2 1/2 days a week.
Cvs is pretty flexible. I can tell them what days and times I can work. I am only available 2 days a week and on Tuesdays I work no later then 3:30 because ds has swimming.
LNLMommy
by Kelli on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Sort of..it's kinda weird because the company was founded by a woman and it prides itself on being understanding but when I announced my pregnancy, my mangers (both women and mothers) were not exactly understanding. It's just been one thing after another. My manger has two kids but prefers to hire young single childless employees because they are more flexible. I feel out of place because I have young children
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LNLMommy
by Kelli on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM
But they threw me a baby shower and everything...just weird
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yu001133shan02
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN