Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Not sure how to handle this

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:05 AM
  • 16 Replies

My manager and I are quite different in our styles of doing things. Over the last few months she has been taking away my responsibilities. I want to move up in this career and I've been looking for oppurtunities to prove myself, but I haven't had any chances to do so. She went out of town this weekend and today and tomorrow. But instead of letting me do the reports, which I use to do, she is doing them herself. I have to call her and give her the info. She is going out of town again in October. I want to show her that I am capable of handling things while she is away, just has I have done in the past. I'm not sure what has happened for her to change things on me. Is this something I should discuss with her, or do I just go along with her wishes? I'm new to the professional world.

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I would ask her about it. Or next time she leaves, just say "don't worry about those reports I can take care of them".

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Agree.  Communication is key.  Whenever I felt as though I wasn't being given enough responsibilities or I wanted more in order to move up the ranks, I always scheduled a short (1/2 hour) call/meeting with my manager.  I explained my desire to advance, demonstrated my success so far, and asked if she could suggest ways for me to have greater responsibility.  Worked great every time - though now I think I have TOO much!  LOL

It's *possible* that she feels that if she doesn't do these things then SHE is not doing all that is expected of her, etc.  Maybe it's part of her job description and her own review from HER manager? 

In any case, you should talk with her and then brainstorm ideas with her on what you can do.  May not be the reports, but may be something else just as good.

Quoting leahbeah143:

I would ask her about it. Or next time she leaves, just say "don't worry about those reports I can take care of them".

rissarin
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM
This.

Quoting leahbeah143:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I would bring it up.  It could be that someone got on her about the reports and she wanted to do them herself, or she is concerned about her job, and thinks taking on more things herself will improve her chances of keeping it.  It could also be that she thought you had a lot to do and is trying to lighten your load.  In any case, a discussion would be in order, if you have a good working relationship with her.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I would discuss with her. 

Communication is important and conveying your goals and expectations and vice versa is the key to a healthy professional relationship and to advancement.  If responsibilities are being taken away from you, I would address your concerns.

WonderWomanSV
by Stacey on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I love your approach. Thank you so much for the advice.

Quoting the3Rs:

Agree.  Communication is key.  Whenever I felt as though I wasn't being given enough responsibilities or I wanted more in order to move up the ranks, I always scheduled a short (1/2 hour) call/meeting with my manager.  I explained my desire to advance, demonstrated my success so far, and asked if she could suggest ways for me to have greater responsibility.  Worked great every time - though now I think I have TOO much!  LOL

It's *possible* that she feels that if she doesn't do these things then SHE is not doing all that is expected of her, etc.  Maybe it's part of her job description and her own review from HER manager? 

In any case, you should talk with her and then brainstorm ideas with her on what you can do.  May not be the reports, but may be something else just as good.

Quoting leahbeah143:

lowencope
by Lucy on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Yea just ask her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Sounds like some good advise
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would email and ask to set up a face-to-face meeting, and calmly ask her if she's unhappy with your job performance. Tell her that you perceive a reluctance to let you handle the responsibilities that you've been doing before and you want to clarify whether it's because of something you've done or can improve on.

If she's a good boss, she won't respond defensively and will either reassure you that it's not a reflection on your work, or she'll give you specific, valuable feedback that you can use to improve your performance. The important thing is that you remain positive, objective and unemotional. Good luck!

Do you have annual or semi-annual performance reviews? If so, how have they been?

yu001133shan02
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM
just ask her

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN