Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

11-mo daughter NOT napping at daycare for months

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi everyone --

My extremely sleep-deprived 11mo-old daughter has been at daycare for nearly 6 months now, and has gone from barely napping (maybe two 30-minute naps) to one 15-min nap a day, or NONE AT ALL.  The teachers keep telling me that "she just doesn't want to nap." Somehow, all of the other children are getting two naps a day.  At 11 months, she is well too young to go down to one nap let alone no nap at all!

She gets about 11 hours of decent uninterrupted sleep every night.  She will reluctantly nap on the weekends, but we do have to pretty much force her to do it, and she does cry for about 5 minutes before she falls asleep for 45 minutes to an hour for each nap. Obviously, she needs the sleep, or she wouldn't fall asleep at all let alone sleep that long.  A lot of it is her personality...she is a bit of a social bee and I think the thought of missing anything or anyone upsets her.

I am very concerned that her lack of sleep is having long-term developmental effects.  I have noticed that she hasn't gained any weight for over a month and a half, and she always has sunken eyes.  (Her appetite appears to be normal.)  She is starting to talk and is developing well verbally, but she has never crawled and isn't pulling herself up yet.  I have asked her teachers to stick to their guns and make her sleep with the rest of the children even if she protests, and they seem not to want to do that (I am guessing her crying bothers others...but the more they follow her lead, the more they are reinforcing her behavior around naptime). 

We did *not* practice "cry-it-out" sleep training at night, by the way, and she peacefully goes to sleep at night with little or no protest.  Frankly, she's so tired that at that point, she is almost relieved to get into the crib!  Napping is another story -- her cries are clearly of the "I don't want to do this" variety...she is old enough now to express her displeasure this way.

Is there anything else we can do to get her to sleep at daycare that will not bother the other babies?  Any ideas?  We've tried placing her crib in the quietest, darkest area of the daycare room, and that didn't work.  Apparently, going down with all of the other babies didn't work either.  We can't put her down any earlier at night, given our work schedules and she really won't sleep more than 11 hours at night anyway.  Thanks for your help,

Martha

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM

What do they do with her when she won't sleep? I don't have any advice since our DS did not go into daycare until 14 months and then it was a home daycare where he was in his own room alone. However, I know when he was under a year, he LOVED sleeping on people. He hated naps because he hated sleeping alone, but if you let him lay on you, he would sleep. Do they at least provide quiet time with her?

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I haven't had this problem, so here's a bump.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM
From a teacher's point of view, it is possible and okay for them to have one nap a day at this age. Sometimes, they are even okay with no naps! It all depends on the kiddo themselves. I have an 11 month old in my room now, and he's been having one nap a day for the last couple of weeks. Heck, I have an 8 month old that has been getting on a one-nap-a-day schedule for the most part and does wonderfully that way! But at the same time, I always go with 'the parents are always right'. I always respect the parents' wishes!

Have they tried rocking her to sleep? Does she nap after lunch or before? Naps after a big lunch seem to be best, with a full tummy. Do they have cots for her to sleep on instead of a crib? Someone could sit next to her and pat/rub her back until she falls asleep? Have they tried other activities to really tire her out? Is she grumpy without a nap, or could she really go without one?

You don't really have to answer all those questions. Haha. I'm just throwing ideas out there! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

DD was never a big napper and had gone down to one nap a day shortly before she turned 1, but like your DD she would sleep 11 hours a night.  I know my doctor said that kids need about 10-13 hours of sleep a day so if she was sleeping that long at night that short naps during the day were of no concern and that even napping in the car should be counted.

Ask what the daycare is doing to soothe her because they might need to try somethin else. Also, is she teething because that played a huge role in DD's napping habits.

CrazedMomof2
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM

My toddler struggles to nap when it is noisy. Our DCP moved him upstairs for nap time. It seems to be working much better.

cubbies23
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Do they pick her up as soon as she wakes up? Are they giving her time to fall back to sleep? I have a 12 month old that use to take 2 naps a day but now it seems to be one a day. I realized if I leave him for a few minutes(at the most 5) he will fall back to sleep.  This seems to be working. Now watch tomorrow he won't nap at all.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Ask them what other things they've tried to get her to nap. She may need to be seperated from everyone else to nap, so she knows she's not missing anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)