Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Study: Stay-At-Home Moms More Depressed Than Working Moms

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM
  • 19 Replies

What do you think?

Quote:

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) – A recent Gallupstudy finds that stay-at-home moms are struggling more than working moms.

After interviewing 60,000 women, Gallup found that 28 percent of stay-at-home moms reported dealing with depression for much of the day, compared to that of 17 percent of working moms. The study also showed that stay-at-home moms deal with more stress, sadness and anger.

“When someone has a baby in our culture, or even adopts one, they can lose status, income, friends and the life they knew and were used to,” Sara Rosenquist, a reproductive health psychologist, told Metro Parent.

Metro Parent states that stay-at-home moms might feel down because the lack of appreciation or sense of accomplishment.

In 2009, The New York Times reported a story in where moms brought bottles of milk and wine to play-dates. One of those mothers, Stefanie Wilder-Taylor, a former comedian and writer who published “Naptime is the New Happy Hour” and “Sippy Cups Are Not For Chardonnay,” was featured in the article.

Taylor explained to the paper the trials of having a child, drinking more and finding sobriety.

“It was a taboo moment,” Wilder-Taylor told The Times. “It was a way to express that we’re still fun people. Just because we have babies doesn’t mean we can’t have an adult side.”

Wine companies have even exploited this trend with inventing a wine famously called “Mommies Time Out” with the slogan: “You deserve a break. Take a mommy’s time out.”

Occasionally bars sponsor happy hours for moms with babies. Social media groups bring moms together to form monthly wine tastings online, where moms can sit at home, open a bottle of wine, sip and tweet.

In the Gallup study, stay-at-home moms found other ways to cope with depression by continuing education, blogging and joining the gym to have some social time with others.

Source: CBSAtlanta

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I know I am mentally healthier because I work.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Study after study coming out to support this and the fact that working moms are healthier and happier. I'm not suprised.

christyg
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I was happier as a SAHM than I am as a working mom, and so were my kids. I think its a bunch of crap made to make us working moms feel better. I dont get why slamming one side makes the other side feel better??? There are lots of us (definitely not all) who would choose to be a SAHM if we had a choice.

Michellio
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Shoot, yeah.  Like I have time to be depressed!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM
I do not necessarily see this "as slamming the other side". It simply identifies a possible trend of risk for depression. You can take the data and explore it further to promote mother's health, no matter where their "work environment or status" may be.

I understand from your personal experience, you would be skeptical, so you would fall in the 72% of SAHMs who were happy!

Quoting christyg:

I was happier as a SAHM than I am as a working mom, and so were my kids. I think its a bunch of crap made to make us working moms feel better. I dont get why slamming one side makes the other side feel better??? There are lots of us (definitely not all) who would choose to be a SAHM if we had a choice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I would much rather not work.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel like I'm a better mother and person because I work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsAnjo
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Hello every one. I'm Annette and I am a SAHM.

Silliness aside, I have been a SAHM for the past,...well since the year 2003. So, needless to say I've been struggle with this affliction for quite a while and I hate it. I agree that people who work (especially women) acquire a sense of worth and self respect. I believe that there should be a sense of balance in oneself and being productive helps give meaning to a life can become banal. I'm not knocking being a SAHM I would love being a stay at home mom especially if I was married to man who made good money. Sadly, I'm a SAHM with poor health married to a poor man who keeps turning down better paying jobs that would bring in more money because he wants me to go to work.

lisahappymom
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Yes, I'm not surprised either.  SAHM's probably feel more isolated.

jurnee14
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I think it has more to do with a woman feeling like she has the option to work or stay home. I know women who feel trapped home with their kids, and I know women who hate working and only do because they feel they have to. I also know women who love staying home and went to great lengths to have that option, and women who love working,staying home would drive them crazy. I think work or SAHM, that women who like the choice they have made(for some its not a choice),and who make time for themselves also. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)