Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling overwhelmed

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:40 AM
  • 113 Replies

My house is out of control.  

My husband and I both work fulltime - and always have.  We have three kids (17, 11 and 9).  They are all going in different directions.  We have practice 2-3 nights a week for baseball/basketball.  We spend all weekend at that basketball courts for tournaments.

I'm stressed out and it is filtering down to the kids.  We have to take control back!

How do you other working parents stay on top of everything?  The kids have chores and have to help out, but with sports and jobs, they don't have time either.

Help!

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenieceMojica
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM

i do not work but maybe you can try cutting some of the sports at least till you get some more helpful routines and then you can slowly start adding the sports back that will work better in your routine. take some time out  for yourself every day too and regroup your self. good luck mama

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

You have to learn to let things go.  Clean as you can, teach the kids and DH to clean as they go, and just do what you can as you can.  But, I am speaking from a different place, I have 1 child, a 2 year old, and I work fulltime, and go to school.  DH picks up a lot of slack.

mickstinator
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM

From what I hear, that is the busiest, hardest phase of life, especially for two working parents. We always make a point to go to bed early and to spend our evenings together, but we have a lot more time available since my kids are only 4 and 2. 

Good luck! I am sorry I don't have anything else to add. 

sashamom03
by New Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Hiring cleaning people to get the house in shape is a good idea. Or on weekends either Saturday or Sunday, just pick an amount of time to spend on household chores. I would say between 2 - 3 hrs having the family pitch in with cleaning bathrooms, vacuumming, dusting, etc...
Lisa
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband works part-time, but still manages not to do much housework.  My kids are 11 and 7.  My 11 y/o just started having some after school activities this year.  Basically, we devote one day to getting the house in order (Saturdays).  I have a method where we clean from the front of the house to the back in three waves.  After any of the waves your house looks better, even if it's not perfect. (1st wave: pick things up, 2nd wave: wipe and dust, 3rd wave: sweep/mop/vacuum). Otherwise I try to do a little every night...that little is usually washing dishes and cleaning counters in the kitchen, or picking up clothes in my room.

Crazy-Steph
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM

They are only in one sport each.  To be honest, it's my daughter's basketball that takes up the most time.  She's in a select league.  But we can't take that away from her, ya know?

Quoting JenieceMojica:

i do not work but maybe you can try cutting some of the sports at least till you get some more helpful routines and then you can slowly start adding the sports back that will work better in your routine. take some time out  for yourself every day too and regroup your self. good luck mama

Crazy-Steph
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Oh, we have been letting things go.  LOL  It just hit me today as we were walking out the door that our house is a disaster!

Quoting deccaf:

You have to learn to let things go.  Clean as you can, teach the kids and DH to clean as they go, and just do what you can as you can.  But, I am speaking from a different place, I have 1 child, a 2 year old, and I work fulltime, and go to school.  DH picks up a lot of slack.

Crazy-Steph
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I think I agree!  It will be easier once the 17 year old starts driving.  Then we won't be his chauffer to and from work.  That will be one thing off of our plates.  Yeah, we have been staying up until midnight, just to spend time together after the kids finally get down.

Quoting mickstinator:

From what I hear, that is the busiest, hardest phase of life, especially for two working parents. We always make a point to go to bed early and to spend our evenings together, but we have a lot more time available since my kids are only 4 and 2. 

Good luck! I am sorry I don't have anything else to add. 

Crazy-Steph
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this

That's a really good idea.  The biggest problem I have right now is laundry.  Maybe, if I get a free Saturday/Sunday, I will just take all of the clothes up to the laundry mat.  It takes a few hours, but they will ALL be done.  Then, hopefully, I can keep up with just one load at a time.  Hmmm...

The kids do all pitch in, but we have just been so go go go lately that nobody seems to be doing anything!  I think I'll turn Hoarders on the TV.  That even gets the kids going.  LOL

Quoting sashamom03:

Hiring cleaning people to get the house in shape is a good idea. Or on weekends either Saturday or Sunday, just pick an amount of time to spend on household chores. I would say between 2 - 3 hrs having the family pitch in with cleaning bathrooms, vacuumming, dusting, etc...

Crazy-Steph
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM

It's tiring, isn't it?  By the time the kids go down, I know I should swap laundry, or finish the kitchen.  But by then, I've been on the go for 16 hours and just want to veg out!  With our daughter's basketball tournaments, we don't have Saturdays and Sundays at home.  I really miss my weekends!

Quoting Babujai:

My husband works part-time, but still manages not to do much housework.  My kids are 11 and 7.  My 11 y/o just started having some after school activities this year.  Basically, we devote one day to getting the house in order (Saturdays).  I have a method where we clean from the front of the house to the back in three waves.  After any of the waves your house looks better, even if it's not perfect. (1st wave: pick things up, 2nd wave: wipe and dust, 3rd wave: sweep/mop/vacuum). Otherwise I try to do a little every night...that little is usually washing dishes and cleaning counters in the kitchen, or picking up clothes in my room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)