Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

My house is out of control.  

My husband and I both work fulltime - and always have.  We have three kids (17, 11 and 9).  They are all going in different directions.  We have practice 2-3 nights a week for baseball/basketball.  We spend all weekend at that basketball courts for tournaments.

I'm stressed out and it is filtering down to the kids.  We have to take control back!

How do you other working parents stay on top of everything?  The kids have chores and have to help out, but with sports and jobs, they don't have time either.

Help!

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Replies (51-60):
TheMaskedMommy
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Cut stuff out of the schedule.  You've obviously allowed your family to become over booked.  What ever happen to just spending time with your family, relaxing at home?

*nil carborundum illegitimi*

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Totally agree. DH have done this for 20 mins and I was always surprised at how much got done.

A lady a daycare takes an hour every Saturday AM....if the kids have an early game everyone gets up early to straighten up the house.

Can you/DH divide and. Conquer some games to allow one of you to be home and catch up?

If laundry is the big stumbling block (I didn't read all the posts) put a load in before work. Put in the dryer before dinner (or have a kid do it after school) its ready to fold before it gets to late. Put in another load to wash...dryer in the morning...repeat until caught up.

You can get over the hump. We have all experienced times like this but we come out on the other side!

Quoting loving2live:

Before bed EVERY night, everyone spends 15 minutes (at the same time) tossing trash, putting dirty laundry in the hamper, putting clean clothes away, and picking up their stuff.

Set a timer. You'd be amazed what can happen in 15 minutes daily.

Once it's picked up, a maid service once or twice a month might be worth it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyvalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Check out Flylady.net  it's all about conquering CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome) and setting up workable routines so that things get done in the time you have available.  The reminders sound a little overwhelming at first, but just delete them until you are ready to tackle more in depth organization.  There is a whole section on working outside the house.

Valarie

M4LG5
by Valeri on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I agree....and I have 3 kids. I just accept that my house will not be as clean as someone else's home but its still presentable.

Quoting deccaf:

You have to learn to let things go.  Clean as you can, teach the kids and DH to clean as they go, and just do what you can as you can.  But, I am speaking from a different place, I have 1 child, a 2 year old, and I work fulltime, and go to school.  DH picks up a lot of slack.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VeeLeigh
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Ditto. Flylady is awesome. Took me a bit to get it down, but once you do, the routines work. Its amazing.

Quoting Mommyvalarie:

Check out Flylady.net  it's all about conquering CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome) and setting up workable routines so that things get done in the time you have available.  The reminders sound a little overwhelming at first, but just delete them until you are ready to tackle more in depth organization.  There is a whole section on working outside the house.

Valarie

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HungrySumo
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Our baby hasn't even been born yet, but as someone working more than full time right now I can understand your pain when it comes to the house just having gone too out of control. Our place is a complete disaster, to the point that sometimes we dont even get the dishes done in a day, because we're both so busy with work and once we're home we're just out of it.

We don't have a lot of money, but we're planning on hiring a cleaner to come in one time and just give this place a total scrub down before our baby comes, and SO and I have agreed that if it ever gets as out of hand as it is now then we'll splurge again for the cleaner and try to practice better "Clean up as you go" skills.

I think the more difficult thing to handle is clutter :( 

zacksmom82
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Hi. We are also an on the go kind of family. I have three children 2 boys ages 10 and 8 and I have a 5 year old daughter. I work all day and I go to school at night. What i have noticed that really helps me out a lot is just doing one thing everyday of the week, little by little even if its just 20-30 mintues a day.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I do what I can when I can, there's not much more too do. When I came home today I cooked and did a quick sweep and mopping of the kitchen. I try to find atleast 30 minutes a day to clean (normally dishes after dinner).

Amyirene74
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM
I don't work outside of the home and I get overwhelmed. We have 6 kids but only 4 are at home still. Maybe try getting the kids and hubby to help more. I know that is easier said than done but worth a try. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gail218
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I have a housekeeper that helps me motivates, the day before she comes we pick up stuff off the floor so she can get around, the day she leaves we try to keep clean at least for a few days. Thats our motivation....seems like when the house is clean everything else is in order.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN