Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Anyone here work in accounting?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:42 PM
  • 6 Replies

I would like to know what the job is like. I did an accounting class in HS and it came fairly easy for me. There is a local college that has their degree online and accounting jobs are plentiful around here.

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:45 PM
I do and I love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diatech12
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Quoting deccaf:

I do and I love it!

Can you explain what kind of things you do? Is accounting specific or are there different areas of the job that do different things? What I did in hs was account ballencing. I was pretty good at it because I can follow processe very well and Im detail orriented. 

mom2boys664
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM
I have been an accountant for 15 years. Accounting is a great field and there is a wide variety of positions depending on your interests and goals. I am a CPA with a large public accounting firm - I specialize in small business accounting and tax, which means I do tax returns, prepare financial statements and do planning work for small businesses and the owners of those businesses. I have a BS in Accountancy and had to pass the CPA exam.

If you want to work in public accounting, usually you will want to get a 4/5 year degree, become a CPA and will work generally in either Tax or Audit. Tax is usually office based, has a busy season Feb- April 15 where you will work longer hours and will involve both business and individual tax return prep. Audit involves verifying a clients financial data and also making sure they are properly following the rules of accounting - typically most of the work is done at the clients office and you may travel out of town quite a lot.

If you want to work for a private company with a goal of becoming the Controller or CFO, generally you will get a 4/5 year degree and may obtain a CPA or CMA, or no designation at all. You will be focusing on providing and analyzing the company's financial info for management to make decisions. You will likely be preparing internal financial stmts, budgets and forecasts.

If you are thinking about an Associates degree, there are a lot of bookkeeping firms and private companies that will hire you for either general bookkeeping, like balancing accounts, or things like paying bills, payroll, etc.

There are also lots of other places you can work like banks, government agencies, and non profit agencies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Sorry it took so long, I have had a crazy week.  I keep the books for a private company and do payroll, too.  I also am going to college for my Bachelor's Degree.  There are a lot of different areas to work in.  You could go the private route, working for a nonpublic company, you could do CPA, you could go into auditing, tax, information systems, so many various areas.  Look into the options at a local college or university and see what piques your interest.  I really love what I do and my boss is an excellent mentor and he teaches me a lot that the college can't because class and real world are totally different.

Quoting Diatech12:

Quoting deccaf:

I do and I love it!

Can you explain what kind of things you do? Is accounting specific or are there different areas of the job that do different things? What I did in hs was account ballencing. I was pretty good at it because I can follow processe very well and Im detail orriented. 

NatashaEvesmom
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I am.  I have been in accounting for 10 years.  I started out in public accounting (audit) then moved to tax and have been in tax ever since.  I have been working in a large corporation for the past 4 years.  In public accounting (at least for me) there was a variety of business segments (corporations, partnerships, manufacturing, retail, etc).  So I got alot of great experience.  However, you do work long hours during tax season.  In corporate, I do FIN48, FAS 109, compliance, research and monthly accruals.  Accounting gives you a broad range of options and it all depends on what you like to do.  For me tax was more interesting than audit.  The law changes and it's not the same every year. 

mickstinator
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I do bookkeeping at a very small company. I do not have a degree in it (I'm still in school for something else, although I'm contemplating adding a few accounting classes on). 

It's fairly basic stuff - reconciling bank statements with our records, managing bill pay and accounts receivable, verifying deposits and updating our accounts. I honestly love it. I have a great mentor who does have an accounting degree (along with 25+ years of experience), so I have been learning from her for the past 5 years. I love the numbers and the balancing of budgets and running reports to check cost of expenses and track our monthly/quarterly/annual goals. I find it really invigorating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)