Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

advice for jumping ship!?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have been with my company for a little over 3 years!!

I wasn't looking for a job, but rather leads for my boyfriend, when I stumbled upn openings for a new concept store opening with a company I've always had some interested in. So I applied to find out more about the concept, and I ended up being offered a job! And I took it!

And now I'm nervous because everything is going to be new and different and change is scary. ya know?

I don't start with them until oct 22nd so I will stay where I am at until oct 15th.  Then I'll have a few days between jobs to get ready.

Any tips about new jobs?!? Should I go in there very confident? Or more inquisitive? Should I have expectations based on my work experience or try not to??

(I'm in retail management, btw)

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rissarin
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM
I've never really switched jobs before, and the ones I have, have basically been the same as before. Haha. So I don't have much to offer but a bump. Good luck to you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I have never changed jobs when I already had one, so I can't really help.  Sorry.

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I haven't switched jobs like this, but DH has.  His stance is be confident but laid back.  See how they do things before making changes. Evaluate the people around you, the people you work with, for and the people that work for you.  Once you're comfortable and know what's what start speaking up and taking charge.

givenshl
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Yes, Confidence is Key. I'm sure they are wanting Someone with a take charge attitude but is also open to learning from them as well.

Congratulations on Your New Job!
strongerwtime
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I switched jobs with 4 days in between..I understand...go in there with an open EAGER personality...but scale back just a little so you get a moment to breathe while you learn how they run or what not...meaning..be eager but maybe not immediately take on tooooo much right off the jump...if that makes sense...I would certainly ask alot of questions.

christaberk
by Christa on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM
no idea here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM
I say go in with confidence but an open mind and expecting to learn lots. Congrats on the new job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Congratulations!! Be confident but not arigant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adulation
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

thanks for the responses!

now I don't know if I'm going to go or not... my boss offered me a $2/hr raise to stay!  ugh.

marinewife55
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:06 PM
be confident in your abilities...I was unhappy at my job in southern cali and got offered a job making a lil more money and better hours, that I had actually not gotten a month before and I figured, this is my second chance and I just went for it...august 18th was my last nite at my old job, on the 19th stuffed as much stuff as I could in my car with my 2 yr old dd and drove from san diego to las vegas, got keys to my new apt, and started my new job as a case manager for therapeutic level foster children, in the morning lol people told me I was crazy for just up and moving to another state with my daughter at random lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN