Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Are you going to homeschool?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

Someone asked me if I'm going to homeschool my son who's 3 yrs old. I work 40 hours a week. Can people homeschool who work full time? She also suggested my sister-in-law homeschool him for me - is that even legal? Just curious what other people are doing.

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it is quite individual. I know personally, that I could not meet my desired educational goals for my sons homeschooling, nor do I feel my relatives are a good choice. I prefer traditional school settings for now, but you never know what lies ahead, every kiddo and family is different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4healthyeats
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Its just not possible with our schedule. I would love to homeschool but its just not in the budget.

Shari55
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Well I do homeschool, my youngest who is a high school junior. When she was younger, we worked on being able to work independently without much guidance from me. I wasn't working full time though and was there when she had questions etc. 

I have been working full time for almost three years and aside from last year(she attended a private school) she has been learning on her own. 

However each family is different and has different needs, while homeschooling is fantastic(in my opinion), I personally would not be able to do it if my children were in elementary school and working forty hours a week.

Shari, wife to bestfriend John (4/88), mom to Heather(1/77),Nyssa(4/89),Michaela (8/94) and four fur babies (cats)

flutter523
by Tracy on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:37 PM
I think if you really wanted to work ft and homeschool you could but it'd be tough. I don't want to homeschool DS. It's not for us and I prefer him to learn from others as well as us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrennaLyons
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Yes, it's legal. In fact, a friend was homeschooling her son and worried because she herself was weak at math. She taught him other subjects, and I taught him math for her. As long as he does the lessons and passes the test, they really don't care WHO does the teaching.

At the same time, homeschooling is not for everyone. It doesn't matter what time of day or night the kid does the lessons, as long as they get done. In fact, my friend tended to do a half day with her son on weekends to get lessons in. But a lot of kids have a hard time learning for mom as they would for someone else.

LadyJag
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. My husband suggested "we" homeschool my daughter back before she started pre-K, and I had the same reaction. When I stopped laughing, I questioned his sanity and asked him exactly WHEN he thought "we" would be able to homeschool, given the fact that I work from home and already have to simultaneously do my job and take care of DD when she's not in school!

Lunch hours and evenings are reserved for finishing any work I didn't get to complete while tending to DD, doing laundry, cleaning the kitchen, washing dishes, and trying to maintain the house. Then there are church group meetings and the occassional days when I have to go into the office to work or train. And I'm supposed to homeschool too, in my "copious spare time?!?"

Hubby tried to argue that homeschooling requires fewer hours than "regular school," and that it could be done in just 2-3 hours in the evenings. I asked, "and what am I supposed to do with DD OUTSIDE of those 2-3 hours in the evenings when she's not in school?!?" He had no answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM

My father tried to home-school my youngest sister while working a full-time though flexible schedule (he's a pastor).  My sister ended up a whole year behind.  I'm not saying that it can't work, just know that if you can't make it work your child is the one that will have to deal with the consequences.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Yes, its legal. They don't care who teaches the kid as long as someone is teaching them! We are not sure what we are going to do yet. DH works from home, so he has some flexibility. What we might do is work with the school and send him for the non-core programs like music, gym, etc. For any of the core learning we will most likely be doing home schooling. There is also a very progressive school in our district that teaches by experiment rather than classroom learning. I would LOVE for him to get in, but its by random lottery and they only take 25 new kindergartners a year.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM

We've thought about it with ds but we also have several years to think about it since he just turned 2.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Yes, it's legal.  I don't see how someone working 40 hours/week could homeschool on their own if they work outside of the home.

I did homeschool for 1 1/2 years while working full time from home.  At that time, my role wasn't very time consuming, and I was able to fit teaching around my schedule.  However, I was then promoted to a position with much more responsibilities and could no longer give the appropriate time & attention to homeschooling.

Sometimes I miss it, but my kids are doing well in public school and seem to like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)