Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

School fundraisers

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM
  • 19 Replies

Do you bring the school fundraisers in to work? my daughter's school is selling magazine subscriptions this year. They handed the information out Friday, and only gave them five days to get everything turned in! I want to help her get sales, but I don't like making people feel obligated.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kewimom
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Leave it on the table in the kitchen with a Picture and note from her, explaining her school and what the fundraiser is for.  So you don't have to talk about and people don't feel presurred.  At my work at lot of have kids, we tend to support each other.  1 or  2 items from each other so we all don't go broke.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Nope.  I do post on facebook for anyone interested - but not work.

andrea96
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I do, but I only ask 2 or 3 people. It's against our company's rules to do it, but a few of us are good friends and buy from each others' kids.

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

We have to leave fundraiser stuff in the break-room.  I have done that before, but not often. 

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

LadyJag
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM
I work from home, and the cat is never interested in buying. Seriously, though, I pick and choose which fundraisers my DD participates in and plan accordingly by asking family or having DH bring the form into work.

She's in Girl Scouts too, so come cookie time, I print up a tent card with a picture of DD in her uniform on it, a "Got Milk?" headline, and all the purchasing info. Then hubby takes the card and form to his work and sets them on the central table or his desk. DD also asks her teachers if they want to buy, people at church, and people in her after school classes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MansfieldMama
by Angela on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I make a donation to the PTA at the beginning of the year, and then we don't participate in any of the fundraisers that require selling.  We do participate in things like "Jump Rope for Heart," Fun Runs, and Spirt Nights at local restaurants, but I don't like to sell things, and I don't want to make my kids do it.  If they wanted to sell something, I would let them, but they don't want to.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, and I don't buy anything from the parents who do that. I will buy ANYTHING from a kid, but it has to be the kid. Not the parent. I do not bring my kids' fundraising stuff to work. If they want to come after school and sell, they can do that, but I make them do it.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I don't but he's not old enough. I won't when he is old enough. Its not a bad thing if you post it on a shared board or leave it in the break room, but don't go around asking individually. 

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

We will probably do something similar. I hated doing fundraisers as a kid and I don't want DS to have to go through it. Its not worth it. We had a kid come to our door selling something at about 2:30 PM on Sunday (in our no soliciting neighborhood) and woke DS up from his nap with the door bell. Neither DH or I were very happy at that moment.

Quoting MansfieldMama:

I make a donation to the PTA at the beginning of the year, and then we don't participate in any of the fundraisers that require selling.  We do participate in things like "Jump Rope for Heart," Fun Runs, and Spirt Nights at local restaurants, but I don't like to sell things, and I don't want to make my kids do it.  If they wanted to sell something, I would let them, but they don't want to.

Lisha77
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM
We have a "bulletin board" on our internal website. It allows us to post items for sale without having to send a bunch of emails or harassing people allday. :o)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN