Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Tacky??

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM
  • 17 Replies
A coworker has just been diagnosed with breast and lung cancer. I want her position. How do I go about it without seeming like a vulture circling. I don't want someone else to get in before I do. Just found out yesterday...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM

has the company already talked about replacing her?

BelindaDuvessa
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't put all your eggs in a basket.  Both of those can be overcome.  My mother worked all through her cancer treatments, as did a few other ladies I know who had it.  Unless the company has said something about replacing her, don't bet on it yet.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the other two.  Until something is said, keep it quiet.  When/if they announce, then go in.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Are you friends with her already? She's probably going through some pretty serious emotional stuff right now. See where you can help out. See if you can help out with some of her work load or even personal issues. 

Honestly, until the company opens the position, you can not do anything. However, from personal experience, the persons opinion of who is replacing them if they leave is FAR more important than anything else. Make sure you are there to help out (and get to learn the job as well) and she will appreciate it and probably keep you in mind for the position. However, be sure the be genuine! If you offer to help, be there to help. People can tell a fake.

wifeynmommie80
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Dont be sure, she may just take leave or work from home. But ya ur already kinda being a Vulture.

annasmom1234
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Quoting deccaf:

I agree with the other two.  Until something is said, keep it quiet.  When/if they announce, then go in.

Totally agree

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Yeah.  It wouldn't be right to even hint that you want her job unless she has formerly resigned and they are posting her position as an opening.  She very likely will go on medical leave and return when she has BEAT THAT CANCER'S ASS.

Quoting deccaf:

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM
3 moms liked this

OK, I wasn't going to but I just have to say it.  Your co-worker was just diagnosed with TWO forms of CANCER.  And all you can think about is snagging her job before someone else does???  It seems so...crass.  selfish.  shallow.  pathetic.  Sorry...I'm typically not into any kind of drama, but your post just really bothered me.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

definitely do not bring it up. it's incredibly tacky. i understand wanting a position, but to address it so quickly in those circumstances is completely inappropriate.

Olivia.M
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Similiar situation happend a while back when one of my co-workers was diagnosed with lung cancer.  hope she beats it and becomes healthy but no matter the situation, they will take a significant time off.  Just like the everyone else said, be respectful and wait. Just start working harder and you'll know when the time is right

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)