Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms
A coworker has just been diagnosed with breast and lung cancer. I want her position. How do I go about it without seeming like a vulture circling. I don't want someone else to get in before I do. Just found out yesterday...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM
Replies (11-17):
laylolilah
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Thanks for the responses. I do understand that it seems cold for me to be thinking about the position.
I already have been doing her job since she's been out. I have always helped her when she was there. I am good in the position, and see it as a way to make a better future for my daughter and I.
Also, we were informed that she was diagnosed 4 years ago, told no one, not even her husband, and it is unlikely she will return.
I'm not unfeeling and would like to be respectful, which is why I was looking for feedback.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laylolilah
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM
I didn't mean to really bother you.
I posted here because I'm trying to avoid being any of the lovely adjectives you listed.
The position will have to be filled. I am qualified, and willing to do my best. The circumstances are terrible, but not my doing.

Quoting the3Rs:

OK, I wasn't going to but I just have to say it.  Your co-worker was just diagnosed with TWO forms of CANCER.  And all you can think about is snagging her job before someone else does???  It seems so...crass.  selfish.  shallow.  pathetic.  Sorry...I'm typically not into any kind of drama, but your post just really bothered me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Do your best. Take on projects, have one on ones with your supervisor and discuss your performance on projects. Show you are good and qualified, seek feedback. Then when its open express your interest and show your recent track record.

In the meantime, make her a meal, or a blanket or prayer shawl. This will be tough on her and your colleagues.

Quoting laylolilah:

I didn't mean to really bother you.

I posted here because I'm trying to avoid being any of the lovely adjectives you listed.

The position will have to be filled. I am qualified, and willing to do my best. The circumstances are terrible, but not my doing.

Quoting the3Rs:

OK, I wasn't going to but I just have to say it.  Your co-worker was just diagnosed with TWO forms of CANCER.  And all you can think about is snagging her job before someone else does???  It seems so...crass.  selfish.  shallow.  pathetic.  Sorry...I'm typically not into any kind of drama, but your post just really bothered me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathermarie23
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM

She can easily have her Dr fill out the correct paper work to secure her position in her journey to fight the cancer... and that's only if she can't work during her treatment.  You should wait until your job mentions they are looking for a replacement.

gottaluvabug
by New Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not afraid to admit that I totally understand the instinct to go after something that will better the lives of your family. After all, I know that I would do anything to provide the best for my children. THis being said, I do not think it would be a good idea to mention your ambition to anyone in the workplace. I do think that by filling in for her while she is out and doing the best job you can at her position, if she does not return you would be the logical person to replace her.

AlilKittyKat
by New Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM

This.. I was just about to post more or less the same exact thing.  

Quoting gottaluvabug:

I am not afraid to admit that I totally understand the instinct to go after something that will better the lives of your family. After all, I know that I would do anything to provide the best for my children. THis being said, I do not think it would be a good idea to mention your ambition to anyone in the workplace. I do think that by filling in for her while she is out and doing the best job you can at her position, if she does not return you would be the logical person to replace her.

sakpoints
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

First it seems a little premature to assume it will be available unless you know she is leaving.  Hopefully she will recover.  I am not sure how your company fills openings, mine would have to post the job for people to apply so I would say just keep an eye out for when they start looking for a replacement.  Also difficult to give advice not knowing what type of setting you work in.  Based on an office setting like I work in you could ask her to mentor you or offer to assist with any of her tasks to learn what she does so you will be more appealing as a candidate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)